Early 3G adopters and 32GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by finfloyd, Jun 14, 2008.

  1. finfloyd macrumors newbie

    Mar 12, 2008
    What do you think the policy will be when the 32GB 3G comes out? If it's anything like the 2G, we should see it by Xmas or early 2009. Those who by the new 3G on July 11th won't be eligible to upgrade through AT&T.
  2. Julien macrumors G3


    Jun 30, 2007
    Ask and answer. Seems rhetorical.:confused:
  3. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

    Mar 18, 2008
    no one has any idea....... at all. anything you hear from someone is a complete guess

    my GUESS would be another 6 months, just like v1
  4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

    Sep 27, 2004
    Knoxville, TN (USA)
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

    I think you are correct in the assumption that early adopters of the 3G iPhone won't be able to upgrade with AT&T. I do think that Apple won't make the same mistake with the price updates that they did last September. I think that the 32 gig model will cost $100 more or something.
  5. stagi macrumors 65816


    Feb 18, 2006
    For me I think 16gb is enough. I have an 8 right now and sometimes wish I had a little more space for one or two more movies but thats about it.
  6. carfac macrumors 65816


    Feb 18, 2006

    I disagree. Next Jan, the 32 will be 299, 16 will be 199, 8 G will be history. Just like the 1st Gen.They will need something to boost sales after Xmas.
  7. finfloyd thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 12, 2008
    I also think they will phase out the 8GB like they did with the 4GB by the end of this year or next but since this the 3G will be subsidized, I don't know how they'll handle the upgrades. With the 2G iPhone you paid full price no matter which phone you bought and you could upgrade at any time. With the subsidized 3G you may be stuck with it for a year even if the 32GB comes out in six months. It will be nice when AT&T finally comes out with their official iPhone 3G plans.
  8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Feb 4, 2008
    Um...you buy a subsidized iPhone in July and you've gotta like it for 2 years. I don't know how else to explain it. That's the risk you run whenever you buy a cell phone.

    The only thing I could see happening to help out would be a non-subsidized price iPhone for $400 or so for the smallest storage model. But just be aware that you'll be saddled with the 3G iPhone for a couple of years. So if you're going to stand in line on day 1, you'd be smart to get a 16GB model.
  9. arkitect macrumors 601


    Sep 5, 2005
    Bath, United Kingdom
    I think the OP understands that… that was not his question.
    But you enforce his concern below.

    I agree. A new contract will lock you in with no option for a subsidised upgrade to the new model except a full-price payment.
    Such is life.
    That is why I am considering not getting my "free" upgrade from O2 and having to sign a new 18 month contract.
  10. rayward macrumors 65816

    Mar 13, 2007
    Houston, TX
    That's why I'm waiting for the 32GB before upgrading. Apart from movies etc., I suspect I'm going to be interested in a number of apps which will take up space. If I go for 16 gigs now, I can't upgrade (without punitive expense) for 2 years. Better (for me) to wait for the bigger unit.
  11. noneother macrumors member

    Sep 26, 2007
    32GB is one of the key things i am holding out for. As a iphone 1.0 owner, I am holding on for a few things..

    FULL 3G bandwidth (latest is ATT is holding back to 1.7 vs 3.2?)
    would like Voice Dial
    would like A2DP (stereo bluetooth)
    would like removal Battery
    would like SD slot...

    that makes it for me... I never expect all those, but half em would be nice....
  12. essential macrumors regular

    Apr 8, 2008
    We will still be able to upgrade to the 32GB iPhone 3G, we'll just have to pay the early termination fee.

    For example, people today who want to keep their iPhone 3G without AT&T can cancel after 30 days and keep their iPhone 3G if they pay the $200 early termination fee.

    So, when the 32GB comes out, we will have to pay an early termination fee, which would let us out of our contract, then we would be free to upgrade, along with signing a new 2 year contract.

    I read in an article a couple weeks ago that AT&T was changing it's early termination fee guidelines so you get credit for time served in the contract. I'm assuming it's $100 per year since with the iPhone 3G has a $200 early termination fee after 30 days.

    So say in January the 32GB iPhone 3G comes out. We'd be 6-7 months into a 2 year contract. We'd probably have to pay around $150 to get out of our contract so we could get a new 32GB iPhone 3G. However, paying the $150 early termination fee allows you to keep your 8GB/16GB iPhone 3G. You will then have no contract with AT&T allowing you to get the 32GB iPhone 3G at whatever the subsidized price is at the time, and selling your 8GB/16GB iPhone 3G for what is still probably going to be a relatively high price considering it's going to be harder to get them with all the hoops AT&T is having people jump through, in addition to the fact there unlocking methods will probably be finalized by then.

    So, in a moderate circumstance, you'd get $300 for a 16GB iPhone 3G on eBay/craigslist in January if a 32GB comes out. That would cover your early termination fee, and half of the cost to upgrade to the 32GB iPhone 3G, assuming it takes the place of the 16GB at $299, while the 16GB moves down to $199, and the 8GB is discontinued.

    I think that's a pretty good deal. We might even be able to get more for used iPhones depending on supply and demand for unlockers.
  13. diamond.g macrumors 603


    Mar 20, 2007
    Paying an ETF to upgrade a phone? Isn't that why they usually have two prices for the phone? The sub and unsub price? It would make more sense to charge an unsub price, or treat everyone as a new customer and just extend the contract.
  14. tritonj macrumors 6502a

    Jun 12, 2008
    i don't see that happening anytime soon, they will keep it throttled down to make sure the 3G network doesn't max out. it is the same with DSL and Cable providers, there are artiificial caps in place to ensure service uptime for everyone. att will have to make improvements to the 3G network before they feel comfortable in removing any caps. last thing they want is customer complaints about not being able to access the 3G network.
  15. essential macrumors regular

    Apr 8, 2008

    1) AT&T isn't selling the phones at unsubsidized rates, so we have no choice but to buy them subsidized.

    2) If you are with AT&T anyway, like me, why not take advantage of the early termination fee. I would pay $499 for a new 16GB iPhone 3G if AT&T didn't subsidize them. However, in 6 months if I pay the ETF, which would be around $150, I'd only have paid $450 for a 16GB iPhone 3G. Sure, it's only $50, but it's $50 less than I would have paid up front. Then if I sell the 16GB iPhone 3G then I'd probably make back between $300-$400, so I might end up being able to upgrade for free when it's all said and done.
  16. diamond.g macrumors 603


    Mar 20, 2007
    Don't you lose your wireless number if you terminate without porting it to another service? To me (as a current customer) I would rather pay full price and not have to extend my contract. As it is I am not upgrading due to the lack of 3G in my area (although FAN discount is pretty tempting).
  17. essential macrumors regular

    Apr 8, 2008
    That I am not sure off. Most people end up paying the ETF so they can cancel, but I thought the ETF just bought out the remainder of your contract so you were free to cancel when you wanted. I'm going to have to call an AT&T rep about that.

    I also would prefer not to have to sign a 2 year contract, but it doesn't look like we have any choice.
  18. tritonj macrumors 6502a

    Jun 12, 2008
    if you don't port the number you would lose it. as for having a contract not, if you guys want the 3G service then you can only use it on ATT so what is the difference if you are on or off a contract? you pay the same monthly either way.

    as for the EFT, it should be like $175 on a contract, dont' know if they are changing it for an iPhone, maybe they do maybe they don't. but i can tell you for sure that if people keep talking about how they are just going to pay the $175 to get of a contract and ATT hears then they probably will. so maybe everyone should just keep it to themselves

    another note is that if you do terminate your contract with an EFT it is logged and they keep it in your customer file, and it may effect any future business you do with ATT. i know that there are cases where because people did an EFT on a cell phone that when they tried to get another cell phone a few years later that they had to pay a deposit up front, and even on land lines i have heard of that happening, so i wouldn't use the EFT as an easy out just so you can be without a contract but continue to use the carrier, it really isn't worth it.

Share This Page