Early adopters nearly always get screwed

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by norriegga, Sep 10, 2009.

1. norriegga macrumors newbie

I bought the 1G 32GB Touch a few months after it was released. A couple of months later, the second gen came out.

I've been waiting for gen 3, and will probably buy it for the 64 GB capacity. Next, I'll be screwed again when this company releases an updated touch in early 2010. I can't wait.

What I really wanted was the built-in mic. Guess I'll be waiting for gen 4 for that.

Seems like a silly business model, to be updating hardware more often that once per year. But then again, I read the signatures of folks on this forum and it seems that too many people have no problems shelling out for every iteration of a product. What do you do with all that stuff?

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Vote with your wallet. You dont have to buy every iteration.
    Early adopters get the tech before the later adopters. They get to use it before the other people. When new stuff comes out, that finally gets people on board, you've been enoying it for months before them.

Yes, they get it for cheaper, yes, they may get more features, but youve been enjoying your device for longer, and you get to keep your functional device. You dont have to upgrade. That is the nature of technology.

3. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

So what you're saying is people that buy early versions of products don't get to have the next generation features? And this is post worthy?

Can you tell me a technology that does not work like this? Computers, phones, cars, doorbells, toasters?

4. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

What you get for being an early adopter is the privelage of owning the latest model for longer than most. Apple at least tries to keep a control of prices during a device's first year. Buy almost any digital camera and watch the price drop the next week.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I bought a car before sunroofs came onto the scene. I'm pissed.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Same here. I just drive with my head out the window. It's as close to replicating the actual sunroof experience.

OP- How are you getting screwed? Did your touch not do what it was advertised to do?

7. devburke Guest

8. devburke Guest

Actually, I think what he's saying is that Apple shouldn't release an updated product until he is ready to buy it. Those bastards.

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Early adopters buy products the day they are released. Not a few months later. ;)

10. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

i bought my 1G ipod touch in may 2008, months later when introduced in Sept 07

then 4 months later the 2G is released!

11. devburke Guest

First of all, 4 months is a long time. An 8 months (how long it had been out before you bought it) is even longer! What should Apple do, completely stop selling iPods for 6 months before they release a new one?

Look, if you REALLY wanna avoid this, you should have done your homework, but since you didn't, I'll just tell you: Apple releases new iPods every September.

12. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

first of all, i did not knew apple would introduced a new ipod touch in sept 2008! (it was the first generation for god sake! how would i have known that the ipod touch would be so sucessful!)

AND ANOTHER QUESTION, since u say that new ipods are introduced every sept

then why did apple introduced the ipod shuffle 3G in march 2009? and not in sept 09?

13. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Ehh...it depends. In the case of the iPod touch, you're right. But in the case of the iPod, someone who bought one a few months after they were announced would likely still be considered an early adopter.

Of course, I see your winky face and know that you are just playing with the OP. :)