Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
canada remains a cheap country to buy apple products compared some other countries, but why did americans get 50$ in 2004 and canadians 45$ in 2008? if they really wanted to make up the difference and be kind and treat canadians with a little more respect, they could offer a price that more reflects the currency disparity at time of purchase of the ipod. in that case, the canadian dollar was 82c us to buy so the price should be 55$.

oh well, not like anything will ever change.

Ummm, why would the exchanger rate play a role here? You bought something with Canadian money and you get back Canadian money. Just because Apple is an American company doesn't mean that you factor in exchange rates. If Apple was Canadian, how would it have affected your purchase? It wouldn't -- you would have paid the same amount and gotten the same amount back.

Also, the Canadian courts decide the amount. Do you think Apple looses the suit and just decides what to give people? Why not just give you $1. Or a coupon to Tim Horton's.

And, now that the US dollar is weaker, Apple is paying more that they would have in 2004.

Why do Canadians have such an inferiority complex on this site. It's so weird.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
That seems a little odd (though also seems standard practice), especially since most people will put that $45 towards something more expensive. So Apple's court ordered punishment is to get people to spend more money with Apple.
In this case, it makes perfect sense. You can put that money toward a battery replacement for your iPod, which by now it's likely to need. It pays for more than two-thirds of the cost to do so, which more than compensates customers for the capacity problems they may or may not have actually experienced. Members of the class have the opportunity to resolve the issue at a nominal cost and don't have to prove having had the problem years ago.

Store credit generally is consented to by the plaintiffs settling a class action because it results in a greater dollar award than a cash settlement would (e.g. a $40 credit instead of a $4 check/cheque).

Ultimately, the award or settlement isn't for the members of the class, who bore the risk of zero monetary loss and contributed zero labor toward the litigation. The settlement award is intended to be punitive in nature. It costs the company money that they would not have had to spend if they avoided the lawsuit in the first place (thereby disincentivizing similar future behavior). Any compensation to members of the class at all, in most mundane class actions, is purely a bonus.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Ugh... why is it only for purchases before June 24th? I purchased my 3G on July 3, 2004 (still have it, and the receipt for CAD$632.45!)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Canadians won't get as much as the American settlement because these lawsuits were handled differently, decided upon differently, and therefore, don't correlate at all. The Canadian settlement happens to be $45, which also happens to be similar to the $50 that Americans settled for. It's a mere coincidence that they're very close in value, which lead many of you to believe that they decided on the settlement through currency exchange or something. That's probably not what happened. The settlement amount per customer probably probably could have been anywhere from $0 to $60 Canadian dollars, but $45 was decided on. That's all.

Canadians never complain.
CDN at 82 cents: we get less :( awww
CDN at parity: we export less, this is hurting us :( awww
More taxes :( awww
Equalization :( awww
Western alienation :( awww
Quebec wants to go solo :( awww
More South Park gay jokes :( awww

Haha, that's the funniest thing I've seen in awhile. :p

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Nice how they still manage to give less to international customers, even if its a lawsuit.
So... Apple gives customers $45 credit and you think that this is Apple shafting them?

Clearly they could pull a Dell and offer them just new batteries, but who would want that? It's for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation iPod, surely they're not used widespread anymore. I even occasionally see the 4th generation, maybe once or twice a year at this point.

Also, before you post... think. It's not hard.

Apple gave less to the international customers because
A) these customers bought a more expensive product
B) the customers feel that they were shafted out of $200
C) it was a more recent product

If someone went in to replace the battery on their 2nd gen iPod, for example, it wouldn't be $200, and maybe if it were $200 they would give them $100.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
This all depends on usage patterns. My 1G iPod I got in freaking '01 Still holds about 4 hours on a charge and it's never had the battery replaced. Two batteries that roll off the assembly line one right behind the other will perform differently, and someone who uses their iPod al day every day will have a different experience than someone who used their iPod only an hour or so a day.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I bought a 3rd gen the day it was announced and never had battery problems to speak of until I stopped using it regularly. Even now it still gets ~ 3.5hrs per charge which is not bad considering how many battery cycles it has gone through. I might take advantage of the $45 dollar rebate though, as it's about time I replace that 3G iPod with an iPhone... now that's one hell of an upgrade, and $45 off sounds good to me.

awvan

macrumors member
May 5, 2008
Vancouver, BC
This is welcome news. My 3G iPod didn't really have battery problems but the thing completely crashed and died just after my 1 year warranty was up. $45 towards an iPod touch or an iPhone is better than a kick in the ass.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I did buy a 3G, 15 gig iPod in fall 2003, and I remember paying $549 Cdn at the time -- and that was with the education discount! However, I sold that iPod years ago, and I very much doubt I would have any record of the purchase now.

To all of you who get money from this, great! But for many of us, this seems like a rather empty promise.

obsoletepower

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006
Toronto, Canada
I honestly don't know why people buy iPods. In terms of sound quality, they are the worst in the business plus they have that stupid shiny cover that scratches so easily. I am never buying a piece of crap iPod ever again!

newno55

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2006
I did buy a 3G, 15 gig iPod in fall 2003, and I remember paying $549 Cdn at the time -- and that was with the education discount! However, I sold that iPod years ago, and I very much doubt I would have any record of the purchase now.

To all of you who get money from this, great! But for many of us, this seems like a rather empty promise.

Yeah, I also bought one of those puppies in the 2003... shoot... possibly '04.

Regardless, I sold it a few months ago too! Had the battery replaced on it too during my usage.

I wonder if apple will credit that to me... haha. The Emotional distress caused by my 10 dollar replacement will leave a lifelong scar :eek:

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
So to wrap things up, we get less than $50 CAD after so many years. :rolleyes:

Anyhow I believe :apple: will be issuing rebates or some other form of store credit via the registration code. :)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I honestly don't know why people buy iPods. In terms of sound quality, they are the worst in the business plus they have that stupid shiny cover that scratches so easily. I am never buying a piece of crap iPod ever again!

Get a case, or better yet, an iPod Touch. What do you suggest then, a Zune? Hah. Don't kid yourself. People buy iPods because iPods are the best. Period.

Which brings us to this little gem from December 2006...

WHAT??? Is Apple ***** stupid??? Who the hell is going to pay $600 or $700 for an Apple phone??? Good God!!!

EPIC FAIL.....troll boy.

newno55

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2006
Hmm, looks like 2005 will be too late.

Although apple is pretty generous with stuff like this. As long as your's was a NEW 3rd generation, explain the circumstances to them and I would not be surprised to see them credit you as well.

Specifically, I always found that dealing with customer relations regarding these types of issues was helpful.

Personally for the rest of us, i dont know how they are going to expect us to dig up such old receipts.

I guess this move makes them look honest, while having to pay as little out as possibly...

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
I say: STOP YOUR WHINING. New stuff comes out all the time, I bought an iMac and 3 months later the new models come out, should I sue Apple? No, because I'm not a douche.

that's clearly debatable...

sorry you've had bad experience with iPod... i've had several since they first were released and they all worked fine...

Thanks Apple, now let me go find that 5 year old receipt...

seriously... maybe if i pay Royal Bank $45 they'll send me an old interac statement for my purchase...:rolleyes:

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Get a case, or better yet, an iPod Touch. What do you suggest then, a Zune? Hah. Don't kid yourself. People buy iPods because iPods are the best. Period.

Which brings us to this little gem from December 2006...

EPIC FAIL.....troll boy.

LOL Thanks for digging up that gem. Some people never change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.