Early Early Early PreOrder

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TofSanity, Oct 6, 2014.

1. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

Maybe just maybe Apple should start preorders now so they'll know what the demand will be on the new Apple Watch. It seems the iPhone 6+ SG 128GB is a myth since you can't find it anywhere and those of us who preordered still haven't seen this mythical iPhone. (I would say there are a lot of us still waiting)

Anyways, I know they won't but the waters should be tested.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

It would be nice to have preorders at least 1 month before release.

3. TofSanity thread starter macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

A month would be perfect. This week prior isn't working at the moment.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I wish they would have display sample setup in stores before pre-order for this one. I won't buy an iWatch until I can try it on (big wrists) and see if it's comfortable.

5. betabeta macrumors 6502a

To be honest with you I think they could have said pre order right now and plenty of people would in the next 5 months. It's not like they charge you now, and then they would have a great idea of how many they need for launch.

Ordering something 5 months in advance is not unheard of and I would have done it, I would guess me about 2 million others:D

But it would cause issues with support, you know people would keep calling, hey when is my watch shipping:rolleyes:

6. leenak macrumors 68020

It isn't like it is a video game...
    But I think really because it is a different type of product, they are doing a PR campaign before they release prices. For a lot of people, battery life will matter and the speculation seems that they don't know the battery life yet. They do better by waiting to allow pre-orders until more information can be provided. It'd even be nice if they had some prototypes in the store.

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

There must be something about being able to show the customer the final item, complete with all details before being allowed to take orders.

You could order now, then 1 week before launch they say, oh it's got 6 hours battery life.

There must be some need to be fully open about the product you are pre-ordering before accepting pre-orders.

No ?

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Also Apple runs a very tight JIT production/shipping schedule. Apple will not offer a preorder until they know the product is ready to ship. So 2 weeks is probably about the most preorder period you could see.

9. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

I don't think they will make preorders the same way as they do with iPhone, as Watch is more like a fashion item. People would want to see it, feel it, before deciding on which version and color they want.

10. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Yeah, I would want to try it on before deciding. I'm kind of hoping Apple retail stores have :apple:Watch displays up for Black Friday. Give people an opportunity to see the devices in person and create more foot traffic in the stores.

11. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Pre order something you almost know nothing about, that's pure Apple community at its best!

Since preorders are not available yet, you can try giving some money to some Apple employees, maybe it helps.

12. TofSanity thread starter macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

My OP was more of a rant due to the lack of movement on my iPhone 6+ preorder. Of course it would be difficult for a consumer to order something without 100% knowledge of the devise. I would like an Apple Watch, yet I feel it maybe too big for my tastes the first go around.

It would just be nice if Apple really got a true feel for what the consumers are wanting prior to manufacturing and release, as in the iPhone 6+ a devise many thought people wouldn't want, including me, that now seems to be in great demand. (according to various posts here and elsewhere)

13. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Yeah good point, I would buy it sight unseen but that's just me:D. What if they had just a few demo models in the stores with just demo software running on them. Would draw some traffic to the stores during the holiday season. They probably could have pulled that off.

Just interesting to think about what would happen, it's just such a different product, certainly not happening though. It is a different Apple now, they are promoting the thing well in advance of launch.

14. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

I'm also buying the black steel version (Watch) without seeing it :D I just want it now!

15. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I highly doubt you will see them before they are shipping. First, the watch is probably a solid 6 months from shipping. That means it's likely not even finished. Second, no product from Apple has been on display prior to shipping.

As for preorder to help with supply. You guys understand that they are making as many as they can for things like the iPhone. It's not like they underestimated. It takes time to build something as complex as these devices. There are yield rates and parts supply constraints that Apple has to deal with.

16. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Already with Watch Apple has done things they haven't done before, like showing it off during Paris fashion week. Maybe not every Apple Store would have them on display, but some of the larger and/or high profile stores could. It seems like the hardware is finished and the software could be demo software like they had at the keynote.