Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
So my 2 year old Intel iMac suddenly no longer powers up when I need it to, I followed all of Apple's instructions on their website, removed all connected devices, etc.

The only way it powers up is when I disconnect the power for several hours then plug it in and push the power button the it works fine, sleeps, and I can awake it with no issues, also restarts with no problem, but if I shut it down. That's it, I am unable to power it up, unless I once again disconnect the power for a few hours first.

What could be the issue? :confused:

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
I know there were problems with power cords on previous iMacs, but I don't know that's the case here because it isn't doing the things that people mentioned (powering down/restarting randomly).

I'm not sure what to tell you. Do you have Applecare on it? If so, call and ask them or just take it to the store and let them take care of it.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
I know there were problems with power cords on previous iMacs, but I don't know that's the case here because it isn't doing the things that people mentioned (powering down/restarting randomly).

I'm not sure what to tell you. Do you have Applecare on it? If so, call and ask them or just take it to the store and let them take care of it.

I tried a different cord, and it was still an issue. Unfortunately I'm in a country that has no Apple authorized retailers, I just rely on ifixit.com for my MB and MBP

but ifixit has no support for desktops I guess.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
can anybody help? what is the issue, it's getting really annoying not having the machine work when I need it to

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.