Early Intel iMac powers up on when it feels like it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by M. Malone, May 14, 2008.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

So my 2 year old Intel iMac suddenly no longer powers up when I need it to, I followed all of Apple's instructions on their website, removed all connected devices, etc.

The only way it powers up is when I disconnect the power for several hours then plug it in and push the power button the it works fine, sleeps, and I can awake it with no issues, also restarts with no problem, but if I shut it down. That's it, I am unable to power it up, unless I once again disconnect the power for a few hours first.

What could be the issue? :confused:

2. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I know there were problems with power cords on previous iMacs, but I don't know that's the case here because it isn't doing the things that people mentioned (powering down/restarting randomly).

I'm not sure what to tell you. Do you have Applecare on it? If so, call and ask them or just take it to the store and let them take care of it.

3. 7031 macrumors 6502

Try an SMC reset. See Apple's site for instructions.

4. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I tried a different cord, and it was still an issue. Unfortunately I'm in a country that has no Apple authorized retailers, I just rely on ifixit.com for my MB and MBP

but ifixit has no support for desktops I guess.

5. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

tried that, no luck :confused:

6. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

can anybody help? what is the issue, it's getting really annoying not having the machine work when I need it to