Early Intel iMac screen is so much nicer than new MBP screen!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by M. Malone, May 29, 2008.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Hello, so I have been using my MBP for a few weeks, I needed to get a file out of the iMac, so I power it up, and WOW

The colors are so much richer than my MBP, is it normal to notice the iMac has a better screen?

My MBP is a 15 inch matt, iMac is a 20 inch matt.

is there anyway I can have my MBP look like the iMac?

my eyes are more comfortable with the colors on the iMac than the MBP as well

2. msheldrick macrumors regular

you could just grab the colour profile from the iMac and put it on the MBP

3. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

can you explain how to do this?

4. Alloye macrumors 6502a

Not really. Calibration may help, but...

The early Intel iMac had a very nice S-IPS panel. Your MBP, like virtually every laptop made, has a TN panel. These are very different technologies. In fact, one could say they are polar opposites when it comes to color fidelity.

To put it simply, S-IPS uses 8-bits per RGB pixel to render a native palette of 16,777,216 colors. TN uses 6-bits per RGB pixel, which reduces the native palette to 262,144 colors. Temporal dithering is then used to simulate the remainder of the 16.7M palette.

The reason TN panels are so commonly used is that they are cheap. The reason they are so commonly used in laptops is that they consume much less power than other LCD technologies.

5. msheldrick macrumors regular

Sorry about the late reply

System>Library>ColorSync>Profiles and copy the profile to a flash drive and put it in the same folder on the MBP

6. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Only someone who doesn't know about colour management would suggest something like this!

7. 7031 macrumors 6502

True. Both the MBP and iMac have completely different screens, so it is likely that the colour profile would look no better, or even worse on the MBP, as the colour profile is not for that display.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I thought only the 24" had S-IPS (or H-IPS) panels - are you certain about this statement?

To the OP, only calibration will set it "right". You simply cannot move a profile from one machine to another and expect it to provide an improvement.

9. Alloye macrumors 6502a

I'm sure. The early (white) 20" Intel iMac had the same S-IPS panel as used in the 20" ACD.