Early iPhone owner store credit... do they expire?

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Just curious. I will probably be using it for leopard but I know some people that wont be. By law can they even expire anymore?

BigDaddy5

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2006
I don't think there's any case law regarding a store's free credit. It could have been a one-day only credit, as far as I know.

Apple didn't give this credit as a settlement in a civil or class-action suit, they gave to head off such action. It's a kind gesture, not a legal requirement.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Just curious. I will probably be using it for leopard but I know some people that wont be. By law can they even expire anymore?
I believe in California they cannot, but state laws vary. That said, if it doesn't expire, it doesn't expire. Apple don't seem to be dicks like a lot of places.

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I believe in California they cannot, but state laws vary. That said, if it doesn't expire, it doesn't expire. Apple don't seem to be dicks like a lot of places.
Ya that is kind of what I was leaning towards. I think in cali no gift cerficicates or anything of the sort such as credits can ever expire by law anymore.

Thanks for all the responses!

dangleheart

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
I am so mad at Amazon. A couple of gift certificates I have are going to expire in a month and they do not have the Wii system I want. I am not sure if they are going to help me out by extending it. Since Amazon does business with Californica customers, do these laws apply to them atleast for customers with California addresses?

Glad to hear the apple store credits do not expire. I am someone who sleeps on this, forget it for a year or so and then panic.

wowotoe

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Well, too bad. I tried to use the $100 store credit today and was told by the reps the credit is already expired even tho they don't properly inform people on the store credit print out.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
Not true

Above poster is incorrect. I had an Apple Store $100 store credit which I received because I purchased my 2007 iPhone on launch day as well.. I used it for the launch of the 3G iPhone in New York on Friday morning at 8:15AM and had no trouble with it. On Thursday, prior to the launch, I checked on the Apple Store website to see if a $100 balance was still there.. and it was.

I paid $223 for my 16GB White iPhone (original price was $299 + tax totalling $323).

redmeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
sorry for the ridiculous mutli-year bump, but i've just searched forever trying to find old topics on this matter and this is the only one i could find.

So, I just now realized (April 2009) that I still have my original un-used early iphone owner store credit.

So is there an expiration date, or no? Seems to be mixed answers & some confusion there. Surely my credit isn't still valid after multiple years?! Obviously was thinking of applying it towards the new iphone when its released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.