early iPhone upgrades for July, August, September

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barnaby117, Jun 17, 2009.

1. bshaf1 macrumors newbie

2. thadoggfather macrumors 603

thadoggfather

I don't understand what's changed.

We pay a ridiculous amount of money on Family plan for 4 lines and tethering, two users are iphone.

I just paid $399 for an early upgrade 16gig white on my parent's line (and she got a sony ericsson in late 2008 yet last phone I got was iPhone 3G in July last year and I could only get "no commitment" pricing online).

Help?

3. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

awesome...

bloody brilliant. I don't have to wait until July. :cool:

4. thadoggfather macrumors 603

thadoggfather

"For example, iPhone customers who spend more than $99 a month per line with us generally are eligible for an upgrade between 12 and 18 months into their contract."

^ does this mean since we pay enough for a family plan, I can call AT&T or Apple (who do I contact since I ordered through Apple.com) and get a bit of a refund?

I mean i ordered with my mother's line who just upgraded her phone to a sony ericsson in the fall but only because AT&T's system was messing up and didn't offer me $399/499 pricing when i got my 3G iPhone like last July.

5. MacVixen macrumors 6502

I don't think you are Upgrade Elgible as listed in the press release. Your mother just purchased the Sony less than 1 year ago?

6. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I got my 3G in Oct, will I be able to get the $199 price a few weeks later??

7. MT0227 macrumors 6502

....seems like the pre-orders are not as large as they hoped for

8. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

If you paid the Early Upgrade price ($399/$499) for the iPhone 3G S, call AT&T to get that $200 credit. They're the ones who give you or don't give you that discount so I'd call them.

9. adampol15 macrumors member

adampol15

You won't be getting a refund. If you already paid for your phone, then you paid for it, Apple/AT&T's got there money...you'll have your phone on June 19.

Plus a family plan doesn't count for paying more then $99...they're talking about iPhone users who have unlimited talk, data, and texting and pay about $120 a month for a phone bill.

10. arom macrumors 6502

They should do it for all, them greedy bastards!! They know full well they are going to lose the exclusivity within a year and all those poor saps that re-uped another 2 years will be stuck with them or pay the ETF when the new iPhone comes out next year on another company!!

11. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

Not sure why you would think that being that they can't even deliver all of the pre-orders on the 19th. The whole "back order" thing and all.

I certainly won't complain about getting the $200.00 back but I still don't understand why they'd cave on this.

12. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

IMO, AT&T should not have given special treatment to iPhone users. The ones complaining need to grow up and learn how businesses work. You just got lucky this time

13. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

Yes Arom, they should give out free iPhones to all and while there at it why are they so greedy about their rate plans... those should be free too. I don't know why they charge for anything.

14. arom macrumors 6502

Sorry my friend, its called the squeeky wheel gets the greese!! Happens on all levels of life, not just business...

15. arom macrumors 6502

Who said FREE? Can you read or are you using TTS that is speaking a different language?

My point is if they do it for all they will tie up more customers when it comes time Apple cuts ties with them. I think an ETF to them is more money in teh pocket then a subsidy

16. sms0217ny macrumors regular

Well speaking of how business works I think ATT realized that they can capitalize on the big amount of 3G owners who would happily upgrade for the new subsidized pricing, not to mention even if Verizon comes out with a Iphone next year and people start jumping ship, ATT now has locked in a larger number of folks who will be getting hit with the ETF.

17. thadoggfather macrumors 603

thadoggfather

We got 4 lines on our family plan, 3 had iphones, now only 1.

1 broke their iphone and i just sold mine. so three lines are eligible in december, not good for the $199/299

the line i just did the early upgrade with (not mine but one that got a sony ericsson in late 2008, not sure why I couldn't get early upgrade on my line since I got my 3G iphone months before my mom got her sony ericsson), i had to pay $399 to get the 16gb......

the last line is a tether modem and its eligible for an upgrade in September. Can I call AT&T tomorrow (even though I ordered through Apple's site), change 2 year renewal to the tether line, and get refunded half of the early upgrade price? What do you think?

18. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

But yet, 1st gen owners who bought 2 years ago still have to wait.

19. arom macrumors 6502

How so? You miss or make late payments? If so that's why. 18 months < 2 years...

20. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

My upgrade eligibility is October 3rd....3 days too long. Bummer...

21. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

If I could type slower so you'd understand Arom, I would. I was taking your logic one step further. I believe you started it with "they should do it for all, them greedy bastards" You signed a (get ready for it) two year contract. No one made you sign it. So stop acting like you were forced into it.

I'd also refrain from the "different language" comments with the numerous grammatical and spelling mistakes that riddle yours.