Early iPhones (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chappy87, Jun 13, 2008.

1. chappy87 macrumors regular

Just a heads up guys, and not sure how many Apple stores this will apply to, but a Genius at the Genius Bar in Southampton, UK, told me that they may well have a few 3G iPhones in shortly before launch date. I hadn't actually asked anything about it, I had just taken my iPhone in for some help with a few self-restarts, and he asked if I had planned upgrading, and then said that they were possibly getting some in, and making them available, before the 11th.

2. MojoWill macrumors 6502

2 chances

little and none

it is a world wide release at 6PM UK time on the 11th no sooner if anything it would be the US that would get it first anyway

3. chappy87 thread starter macrumors regular

That's exactly what I thought, unless it's not going to be a big release event? I'm going to keep an eye on it, see if he's talking rubbish.

4. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Do you know who you spoke to? I'm friendly with a few of the guys in that store, they haven't told me anything of this nature though.

5. chappy87 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't remember his name, but he had quite wild, curly hair- does that help in any way?

6. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

There's a couple like that I'm afraid. I've known one of the genius' for years (even before he got the job at apple) so I trust everything he says. He certainly hasn't suggested anything of that nature to me. To be honest, all the shop staff are kept pretty much in the dark until the last possible, so he's probably just speculating.

7. chappy87 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah- I wouldn't have thought they would know about early availability until they actually turned up- maybe he'd heard a rumour from someone else and passed it on as fact. What was weird was that I had just said that I was planning to stick with my 1st Gen!

8. matty2345 macrumors newbie

Thats not exactly true, it will b the 11th, but not 6pm.

9. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

who said it was 6pm? It was for the first iPhone launch but I havnt heard anything about a time for this one!

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Tiger was launched at 6pm on a Friday
    Leopard was launched at 6pm on a Friday
    The first iPhone was launched at 6pm on a Friday (actually 6:02pm for O2)

The 11th is a Friday, so I think there's a good chance it will be a 6pm launch :)

11. matty2345 macrumors newbie

Maybe a good chance, but it's not 6pm this time around.

12. MojoWill macrumors 6502

thats what i have been told by my local O2 store that would tie in with AT&T opening in the US at 9am/10AM

they will be closing around midday and re-opening at 6pm

13. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

In the UK, customers may buy it online :D, don't really want to chat with a annoying O2 employee trying to sell me insurance.

14. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Too many conflicting stories for my liking.....I called 5 o2 stores and 3 Carphone Warehouse stores, and all said it will be available from store opening time on the 11th July.

15. onescoop macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

current iPhone owners will be buying their new ones online and are being told they will be some of the first people to get them, so unless they're paying a delivery company a mighty premium to deliver after 6 I very much doubt it. I'm sure stores will have demo models soon but remember it doesn't look as if apple stores will be selling them here this time round.

16. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

The iPhone is being released on July 11th at 7:11pm (source: O2):)