Early --> Late 2011 MBP Hard Drive Swap

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kryptticAZ, Nov 21, 2011.

1. kryptticAZ macrumors regular

I just replaced my early 2011 MBP with the latest model. I installed my existing SSD hard drive into the new one and everything seems to be working fine. However, I'm wondering if I have the correct graphics drivers for the new machine.

I used to just take the software discs from the new computer and reinstall. But now, there are no discs included in the box. My next thought was to download the 10.7.2 combo update, but this was released before the new models came out.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

2. MacBookPr0 macrumors regular

you can actually do that...

Put the blank HD into the comp or not blank and hold down the option key, then select the recovery partition. Which will let you format, or if its blank it shold boot to internet recovery.

Hope this helps

3. kryptticAZ thread starter macrumors regular

The HD isn't blank. It has all the stuff from my early 2011 MBP. I just want to make sure the graphics drivers are OK.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

What model MBP?

As long as OS X has the latest updates installed then it should be fine. I tried the 10.6.8 HDD out of my Alu MacBook into my new machine and it worked fine.

Macs don't really have graphics drivers in the Windows sense. Apple usually release them via the OS X point releases.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Just use it. Should be fine. If it needed anything, it would turn up in Software Update.