Early Mac Paraphernalia Value?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by rljames, Apr 20, 2012.

1. rljames macrumors newbie

I have a *bunch* of Apple items I've collected over many years that I'd like to finally fully identify and value.

Here are just a few;
    Shrinked wrapped "Through the Looking Glass"
    A game included with early Macintosh 128/512 machines.
    (This has been discussed in another closed thread with some debate versus another release called "Alice" so I'm not exactly sure what I have since my package is still in original shrink-wrap)

Macintosh Developer CDs
    Issued to Apple Certified Developers circa 1992 with clever names like;
    "Hack to the Future", "The Byte Stuff", "Silence of the ROMS" and more.

"Wheels for the Mind" softcover Journals
    Published in 1987, '88 and '89 by Boston College as part of Apple Higher Education​

Can anyone help with meaningful (prior sales or other realistic) value or links to webSites that might provide more information on these types of Apple/Macintosh memorabilia?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. rljames thread starter macrumors newbie

No one with value ideas or research suggestions?

Also have some hardware like;

Working Lisa with Profile, OS disks and Manuals
    Working Apple III again with OS disks and Manuals
    A couple SilentWriter thermal printers

Thanks,
    Bob

3. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Lisa-2 machines go for a small number of thousands of dollars. Lisa-1 machines are in one or two tens of thousands, depending on lots of factors.
    Apple /// machines have been going for a hundred or two.

4. rljames thread starter macrumors newbie

Dave,

Thanks for the value feedback on my hardware. The numbers are about what I thought and could find based on recent auctions/sales.

My real wonder is the "Looking Glass" software package. I know it's very rare and have a standing $500 offer but would like to find at least one prior sale and learn more.

BTW, just as an interesting Apple story - Many years ago, during a Boston MacWorld celebration of the HyperCard 1 year anniversary, Apple created a "time capsule" with various conference attendee contributions. My group (Rochester Apple CIDER) put in an item but I can't remember exactly what it was. I wonder what happened to this little piece of Apple memorabilia?

Thanks again for the info,
    Bob

5. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

So, that's the thing about "value" of any of this old stuff. It's got value if someone's willing to pay for it. It's got value if no one has had one for sale for a while, and a collector (or multiples of them) with an itchy trigger finger and deep pockets and goes for it. Sometimes, we watch a !!RARE!! item go for big bucks, then we get all excited, pull ours out of the closet, and no one bites on it. It's a matter of being at the right place at the right time, is what it boils down to. There isn't a steady market, supply or demand, so there isn't a steady means of valuation.