Early Mac Pro 2008 Processor (s) dead

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by krutzer, Mar 5, 2010.

1. krutzer macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have been having some issues with my Mac Pro where it would say "you need to reboot your computer" only on a reboot during post. Also the USB would drop out randomly and ethernet wouldn't work at all. I took it to the Apple store although it was out of warranty. At first they thought it was the logic board which is what I was going to guess. They replaced the logic board, all memory, and hard drives, and have determined it's supposedly both the processors. I find that a little crazy for both procs to be bad..... They said the cost of a repair would come out to 2300 dollars! I might as well buy a new machine at that point. Before I do that though, I'd like to see for myself if it is both Procs or just 1. I have the service manual for the early 2008's but was wondering about the memory configuration. Can someone shed some light for me how to configure the memory with a single quad core installed?

Thanks,

Victor

2. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Take one CPU out and then try?

It will run with just one in it...

3. krutzer thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, that's what I want to do. But how do I configure the memory on the two riser cards for 1 proc? I know on the 2009's it's different.

4. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I don't think it matters TBH.

If it doesn't like it it won't boot at all, not just crash.

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Leave it as it is.