Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
I’ve just bought an M3 MacBook Pro & need to migrate from my early 2015 MacBook Air.

I’m currently away from home and I’d rather not use the hotel’s WiFi for this. I could use my iPhone’s data but, I’m concerned re: stability of the connection & the length of time it would take

Tomorrow, I’ll be travelling to my next destination, so I really need to get this done today/tonight. What’s the best cable to buy to get this done quickly?

Thanks.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I’m currently away from home and I’d rather not use the hotel’s WiFi for this. I could use my iPhone’s data but, I’m concerned re: stability of the connection & the length of time it would take
The hotel's wifi won't be part of the solution. Your two MacBooks will connect themselves directly over wifi–device to device. A direct Thunderbolt connection will be faster, but you won't quickly find a Thunderbolt cable to connect the two. If you can find a USB-A to USB-C cable, that will work. But I think that by the time you find and purchase one, you could have it completed over wifi.

Reactions: JDP1970

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
The hotel's wifi won't be part of the solution. Your two MacBooks will connect themselves directly over wifi–device to device. A direct Thunderbolt connection will be faster, but you won't quickly find a Thunderbolt cable to connect the two. If you can find a USB-A to USB-C cable, that will work. But I think that by the time you find and purchase one, you could have it completed over wifi.
If a Thunderbolt is the quickest option then I’ll get one. I’m in Bangkok so obtaining one is easy. I don’t want to risk the WiFi option as should it fail, I’m going to Hong Kong tomorrow & I want it up and running before I leave town.

Out of interest, how long is the WiFi option likely to take? I think the MacBook Air is using about 170gb of its 256gb.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You'll need a Thunderbolt cable with a Thunderbolt 2 port on one end and a USB-C port on the other.

If you can't find that, get a Thunderbolt data cable with USB-C on both ends, and an adapter for USB-C to Thunderbolt 2.

MMEL2.jpeg

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
You'll need a Thunderbolt cable with a Thunderbolt 2 port on one end and a USB-C port on the other.

If you can't find that, get a Thunderbolt data cable with USB-C on both ends, and an adapter for USB-C to Thunderbolt 2.

View attachment 2380067
Thanks & the WiFi option, what would be your estimate time wise? I don’t want to to have to hang about in the room for hours.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
That all depends on how much data needs to be transferred. But suppose you have 500GB to transfer, and your wifi can transfer 500 Mbps–this would take slightly less than 3 hours.

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
That all depends on how much data needs to be transferred. But suppose you have 500GB to transfer, and your wifi can transfer 500 Mbps–this would take slightly less than 3 hours.
I’ve nowhere near that on the old MacBook Air. I edited my previous reply but, I think you’d already replied by the time I’d finished. It’s using about 170 of 256.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I tried to estimate high data and low transfer rate. You might transfer in just over an hour, then.

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
I tried to estimate high data and low transfer rate. You might transfer in just over an hour, then.
It actually took less than that & the whole procedure was completed in around 45 minutes.

The same couldn’t be said re: erasing the MacBook Air & reinstalling Monterey, which took well over 2 hours & ruined my evening.

At least I spared myself the expense of cables and adapters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.