Early MacBook Pro 2011, iPhoto

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Twaize, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Twaize macrumors member

Hi

So, I just got my second 2011 MacBook Pro. Yes, second, I had to return the first (it would run for about two minutes).

Now, it seems that my laptop gets hot. Now, please don't just throw it in the overheating pile, I do have a very specific example. I was important 20 RAW pictures into iPhoto, the computer then hit 90C (194 fahrenheit) and the fans spun up to maximum. Is that normal? Seems fairly extreme.

Thank you for your time :)

2. Proph3T macrumors member

it seems like mine ran hot for about a week then started to get better I could be crazy and just imagining it. But it did seem like my fans would be going hard all the time when I first got it and now its only if I'm putting a pretty heavy load on it now which makes sense. One thing you can try is downloading gfx card status by cody kreiger and forcing your computer to use the intel hd 3000 since I'm pretty sure iPhoto doesn't use hardware acceleration and the hd 3000 does most stuff impressively well.

3. Twaize thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, I'll see how it goes, I have 14 days at any rate :)

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

The computer works hard when importing large files like RAW images and videos. Mine will hit 89c and the fans at near 6000 RPM when converting HD video from my camcorder in iMovie. So long as your fans are running and the computer cools down after your importing is done it is 100% normal.

People want amazingly powerful machines in tiny packages, you are going to get heat when you ask that machine to do some heavy lifting.

5. Twaize thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I'm coming from a desktop computer (never really been a fan of laptops), and hitting 90C on a mundane task certainly isn't the standard there. I didn't even push those temperatures when I was gaming, so I'm in unfamiliar waters.
    Sorry

6. marc11 macrumors 68000

I didn't mean to come off condescending; I apologize if it seemed that way. But rather a desktop and laptop are really different animals, in power and cooling. The gap is closing of course, but when you stick a really powerful processor in a really small space, heat is going to happen and it cannot dissipate as easily as an open desktop environment generally speaking of course.

IMHO, what you are seeing is normal.

7. Twaize thread starter macrumors member

Thank you.
    After I wrote my first post, I did some stress testing (TF2, cranked all the way up). After an hour, the temperature still maxed out at 95. So I think it's safe to say that I my MBP isn't the overheating type... :)