Early MBP Battery Eligible for Replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by plasmodiocarp, Nov 19, 2008.

1. plasmodiocarp macrumors newbie

This is for the early MBP CD version.

I will have to find the apple support page again explaining about MBP battery replacements...if anyone has the link, I'd appreciate it.

Basic background...MBP was purchased around July/Aug of 2006..so it's been a little over two years. In the beginning, battery life was great..but now it's horrible. It probably lasts less than an hour just surfing the internet or working on a Word document with all the settings for a longer battery life.

I have calibrated it recently and have installed the battery update.

The stats are:

Model Information:
    Serial Number: Sony-ASMB012-34dd-c46b
    Manufacturer: Sony
    Device name: ASMB012
    Pack Lot Code: 0003
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 102a
    Hardware Revision: 0400
    Cell Revision: 0303
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 2194
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 2289
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 120
    Condition: Check battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 12341

The page I read on Apples site said something about if the battery life is low if the cycle count is less than 300, then it's eligible for replacement.

Being my first laptop, I had no idea that these batteries should be cycled. During the past two years of school, I'd take the power adapter with me so that's why there hasn't been many cycles.

While I still plan to go to the Apple store, I'm just wondering if that is something they might hold against me. "You should've cycled properly" ... "This is regular for the age of this battery" (and who knows, it might be)

I just want to get the facts straight before I go in looking like an idiot.

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Batteries are not covered by warranty, except in the case of manufacturing defects.

Apple Limited Warranty:
    This warranty does not apply:
    (f) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless damage has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship;

AppleCare Protection Plan:
    b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover:
    (ix) Consumable parts, such as batteries, except in respect of battery coverage under APP for iPod or unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials and workmanship;

3. plasmodiocarp thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

The page I was referring to.

"This battery update should be run on all MacBook and MacBook Pro computers and extra batteries that were purchased between February 2006 and April 2007."

"Battery exhibits low charge capacity/runtime when using a fully charged battery with a battery cycle count (as shown in System Profiler) of less than 300."

So the above is what applies to me, although "low charge capacity/runtime" isn't clear cut.

4. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

But apple does regularly replace them for customers, but are also within their rights to deny your warranty service.

only 120 cycles in 2+ years is impressive. i'm over 140 in 6 months and my battery performance is abysmal and once was good.

i'm certainly asking apple for a replacement and if I were you I would think you should too. There have also been replacement programs for other (non-MBP) batteries in the past.

Two years is a fair whack for a battery though, even if you haven't used yours much...

good luck

5. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

My MBP batt was replaced because with only 26 cycles it had dropped to 2600mAh charge AFTER a "conditioning cycle". Albeit the battery was 1 year old, but still shouldn't deteriorate like that. Also, somewhere in the Apple info it says something about "retain 80% of original charge capacity after 300 cycles"

6. plasmodiocarp thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you bring it in to the apple store? Were you met with any sort of opposition?

Apple uses a specific number (300) of cycles to base replacement/performance issues. I too have read Apple's statement that batterys should hold 80% after 300 cycles.

After two+ years, even with my limited amount of cycles, is my battery to be expected to deteriorate as much as it has?

I'm just wondering if they take time into account or do they base eligibility for replacement strictly on cycle counts alone.

I know the best thing for me to do is to just go straight in, and I will...However, having dealt with warranty issues in the past for various types of electronics, a lot of the time it really depends on the person you are talking to and also how educated you are on the product and warranty policy. And like I said, I just want to get all the facts straight.

Thanks again, guys.

7. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Like anything else, it's how you approach the issue. If you go in there yelling and screaming about your battery life, they aren't going to want to help you much, but if you indicate to them that "My battery life has rapidly and significantly decreased to unusual and work-inhibiting levels"

I called Applecare because my battery kept dying at 40% charge remaining, once when I was in the middle of my term paper :mad:. I expressed my frustration with the issue and the fact that my computer was a year old and had never experienced this problem before the battery update. They were happy to overnight a new battery after I provided the cycle count and remaining mAh.

As long as your computer is covered under AppleCare it seems to fit the profile of a replaceable battery, I can't see why they wouldn't concur with that.

On the other hand, batteries are going to lose their charge, that's obvious. But they should wear evenly over time and charge should not plummet to less than 50% original charge in 120 cycles...

Before you pursue this further though, you need to remember or write down the following information to better make your case:
    A) How much time it provided new and how much it provides now
    B) That you have recalibrated it (that will be one of their first questions)
    C) If the computer shuts down before reaching the 0% or 10-15% low battery reminder.
    D) If the battery life significantly hinders your work.

8. majidf macrumors member

As far as I understand it and I replaced several batteries you are elegible for a replacement battery. You got less than 300 cycles and more than 20% of your battery capacity is gone. Your battery should be functioning at about 80% its below 50% closer to 40% and is clearly faulty.

Nowdays they usually require "burn in" cycles for batteries and I think they set it for about 50-70 cycles as the capacity fluctuates when the battery is new. And you got clearly more, 120 cycles. I dont believe you need to tell them how old the battery is only that you got 120 cycles/charges on it and the capacity is below 50% clearly, that it is faulty and you wish to replace it according to the battery replacement program.

9. majidf macrumors member

B and if applicable C is necessary, but neither A or D. A is known and D is not really their business, you should not be content with a faulty product or something that does live up to promises at your purchase. If the battery is not faulty and the battery life significantly hinders your work you just buy a new one/extra, but you dont buy a new one because the old one is broken and within warranty.

MBP battery depending on what model is 5200 mAH, 5400 mAH or 5600 mAH. 2200 mAH after 120 cycles is clearly faulty no matter if it dies at 30% or at 0% and can be a fire hazard. It looses the capacity that fast because sony had/have problems with their materials.

If it says it has ~2200 mAH and lasts for 3 hours means the chip on it is faulty and can overcharge the battery and that is also a fire hazard and should be replaced.

I doubt this guy or anyone in his situation would have any problem with AC or any A Store/Service to get the battery replaced according to warranty/AC or battery replacement program.

10. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Normally the 80/300 rule applies to only the first year of use.

In the note above (http://www.apple.com/support/macbook...batteryupdate/) it says

"For MacBook and MacBook Pro systems with Intel Core Duo processors, this program extends repair coverage on the battery for up to two years from the date of purchase of the computer."

You machine is over 2 years old.

FWIW

"Aging of lithium-ion is an issue that is often ignored. A lithium-ion battery in use typically lasts between 2-3 years."

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

What you're experiencing is normal.

11. majidf macrumors member

Slipped my mind about the two year limit. Anyway he might get lucky as those batteries have known issues, were faulty since manufacturing and he has a low cycle count (1/3).

And as long as he does not heat up the battery more than normal and has it in his computer it should not drop that much in capacity. But if he left his battery charged/uncharged in the computer and he did'nt use the computer or away from the computer for a longer time it becomes his fault if the battery brakes.

12. plasmodiocarp thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, thanks for pointing that out.

I'm going to call them anyway and give it a try..maybe with the new MBP's, they'll want to rid some old battery stock. :p

Thanks again guys.