Early MBP owners: Who's Running Windows?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wayland1985, Dec 15, 2008.

?

Are you running Windows on Bootcamp?

1. Yes, Windows XP

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. Yes, Windows XP x-64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, Windows Vista 32bit

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Yes, Windows Vista 64bit

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Nope...

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I'm just curious as to how many of you are running windows on your MBP? I'm thinking about adding it (not really because I need it... but just in case). My HD is running low on room, so I may add it in now, before it's too late.

So, what version of Windows are you running (including subtype: Ultimate, home, business....etc....)? Do you use it at all? Is it a good thing to have? How much space did you allot windows on the HD? And where did you buy your version (will NewEgg's OEM versions work???)

2. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

EDIT:::: I Meant to write EARLY 08 MBP Owners. Any MBP owner can chime in though... sorry!

3. jsbarone macrumors regular

I run Windows so that I can play l4d and hl2. I run Windows XP SP3 32bit and it works fine.

4. lococo72 macrumors newbie

lococo72

ultimate

me too, i run vista ultimate i'm actually using it now it's really incredible it runs smoothly better then my previous pc but i guess mbp are the best laptop ever :)

5. iphonematt Guest

I run Windows Vista Business 32 bit on my Early 2008 MBP.

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I'm running Windows XP Pro through Parallels. I have to have it for Quicken. That's the only time I use it. I have my network adapter disabled so I don't worry about viruses and such.:)

7. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

I'm running XP Pro SP2 on the 15" MBP 2.0 Core Dual model (early 2006), so a later model should run it fine. Since installing a dual boot system involved wiping my HD, I upgraded it to a 160 GB/7200 model while installing Windows.

8. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, I didn't read the Bootcamp info prior. Apple's website says only 32 bit is supported. Is this true???

9. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

i have an early 2008 mbp, 2.4 ghz version all stock.
    i only use xp to play a few games,oblivion, call of juarez, world in coflict cant remember the 2 others of the top of my head.
    all run very well at the native resolution with all settings on high with vsync off.
    i use xp home edition. i didnt buy my version cause my last computer (one that broke before i got the mbp :D) i got from a computer builders shop and they gave me a windows disk with it and i just used the serial that was on the pcs tower and it works great.
    i partitioned 50 gb exactly to windows. that leaves 135 gb left for mac osx. and 50 gb is more than what i need to install some games, the ones i have on it currently use 26 gb.
    i just have one issue, the computer gets bloody hot. when i play a mac game in osx the max temp i get is about 70 celcius, in windows the computer is at about 80 celcius when i reboot in osx. dunno if it is normal but i havent had one issue yet eg no blue screen or crashes.

10. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I used to bootcamp XPSP2 Business 32 and now I just run that in Parallels 4. I thought about Vista for a minute, but I already has XP so it won by default.

11. bjorn989 macrumors member

I was going to install Windows XP on my recently purchased second hand 2.33Ghz Macbook Pro. Then it occurred to me that the only reason that I had bought the MBP was to get away from XP. I am going to upgrade the hard drive a bit later on so I might do it then, but aside from gaming I see no use for XP on a system that I love. Just my personal opinion though, not trying to bring Mac vs PC into this...

12. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

As of now, I am the only one that has answered the poll with Vista x64. Heh. Microsoft has improved 64bit now so that it doesn't have as many issues as it used to.

Got the copy OEM off eBay for 100 bucks so that was pretty awesome.

13. Semiopaque macrumors regular

Vista Ultimate 64 on my early 08 MBP. Use it alot for MS Office, which I use in native or in Fusion depending on what OS I happen to be in when I need it. There's also some video utility software that I use that is Windows only and I use some OS X software for processing it.

Pretty happy with it so far, though there have been some issues that I'm working through. My HDD is at about 64% OS X the balance for Windows, but I'm expecting to probably end up at 50/50 once I get done testing things out.

There's still some weirdness/lacking functionality on the Apple supplied drivers in Vista 64, but the flexibility of OS X/Windows has been awesome.