Early or late 2011 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CarbonImage, Mar 31, 2012.

1. CarbonImage macrumors newbie

CarbonImage

Hi guys, long time lurker first poster. Hope it goes well :D

I'm currently in the market to upgrade my current 2009 13" MBP.

I'm an audio engineer so I am a heavy user of Logic/Pro Tools etc. I also do casual photoshop work, and some xcode among other things.

I'm between two MBPs. I've been looking at the 2.2GHz Late 2011 15".

However, I can get a refurb early 2011 2.0GHz for much cheaper, and I can use the extra cash to upgrade RAM, add an optibay etc.

Will I notice the 200MHz difference? And are there any other major differences I may have overlooked?

Thanks,

Jordan

2. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Go For It

200MHz is nothing to worry about. You won't notice it. Go for the early model. Put some of the money you save into RAM, etc.

3. icecoldart macrumors member

icecoldart

Like many will tell you, just wait a little more, macbooks are going to be updated soon, with new ivy bridge processor and better graphics ( nvidia most likely, which is better for photoshop than Radeons )

How long, well we don't know, but it's around the corner a month probably.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Average Geekbench score of 8794 on the early versus 10008 on the Late. Mid 2009 13" scores 3130, so either of the 15's is going to seem like a huge improvement. I opt for as much horsepower as I can buy within reason, but yor mileage may vary. I'm seeing 10% difference in the Geekbench scores on the two 15's.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

If you are in the US - You can get the high end early 15 MBP for 1606 (2200 originally) - most states no tax - free overnight shipping - from MacMall with AppleInsider coupon code.

6. CarbonImage thread starter macrumors newbie

CarbonImage

Sorry man I'm in the UK. I can get about 20% educational discount but it still works out much cheaper to get the refurb.

I don't want to wait for ivybridge, as far as I can see it really won't be that different apart from graphics which doesn't bother me in the slightest. And I'm worried if there's a redesign it may lose firewire which I need for audio. My 13 is really on its last legs and it won't make it much past April.

Thanks for the figures, that put things in perspective a little. This needs to last me a good few years so I want it to be good, but I'm not exactly drowning in expendable income right now.

7. CarbonImage thread starter macrumors newbie

CarbonImage

Just in case there might be anything I may have overlooked, here are the full details.

A new (late 2011) 2.2GHz can be had for approx £1550 with 500gb HD and 4GB RAM, but Hi-res antiglare.

The early refurb 2.0 has a 1TB, 8GB RAM, no hi-res, and is £1100. That's a big saving. I could spend another £100 on an optibay with SSD for the OS, and possibly another £100 on 16GB RAM, and still have the change to pay for half the deposit on my flat.

I'm leaning towards the early and saving the money, but will I regret it in a year's time when it's already 2 years old?

8. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I have that model with SSD & 8 GB ram. I think it's awesome. I got mine as a refurb as well for $1349. I put the $300 in upgrades, and it flies.

9. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Are they both i7 processors? If so, absolutely go for the refurb. The extra SSD will provide a greater noticeable difference than the slightly faster processor. By the way, "Hi-res antiglare" doesn't mean it's of a higher resolution than the normal screen.

10. CarbonImage thread starter macrumors newbie

CarbonImage

Yes they are both i7, and I think I will be going refurb.

It is a higher resolution, 1680x1050 as opposed to the stock 1440x900. This doesn't really bother me as much as the antiglare though as I'd like to be able to work outside. But it's not really worth £450 of anyone's money for that privilege.

11. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

My mistake, didn't know there were different resolutions available. None the less, as you say, £450 is a huge saving. I think the refurb unit is an excellent buy.