Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
Apple's device was meant to be an all-in-one charger where the user could place any device on the pad with little to no positioning thought ... 'set it and forget it'. All the third party chargers are 1. Usually created with one two specific devices in mind, and 2. Demand precise positioning of the device on the pad in order to ensure proper charging.
There are several third-party charger that got this working using multiple sets of overlapping charging coils. Only the ones correctly positioned under the device — wherever it’s placed — are activated. They work fine.

Two major differences are lack of Apple Watch support, only because Apple Watch doesn’t support Qi charging, and somewhat larger overall size. You can’t place two devices right up against each other and expect them to both charge; they need at least a small gap.

Reactions: seek3r and Lyrics23

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
Magnets are a far better and more elegant solution. Apparently the industry thought so as well, since it's been adopted as a standard.

Qi chargers for me really were hit or miss. I could never get some chargers to work, especially with a case. MagSafe = no issues at all. The positive feedback it gives is really great, and is really so Apple.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I am an electrical engineer. I had my doubts about the project for a long time, and I am glad to see my concerns weren't unfounded; the heat losses of the coils and them being so close together with little cooling proved to be the death sentence. Not to mention targetting charging at 15W, which seems ridiculous to run by with coils that close.

Interesting concept however, and I am sad it didn't come to fruition.

I find it funny the article says one of their solutions was to add more coils. Like the “add more balls” scene in the classic Simpsons episode. “The chargers seem unhappy.” “Add more coils.”

Also I like the animation idea. It should say on the screen: “Be sure to get the alignment correct. The penalties for deviance shall be severe.”

Add more balls.

MichaelAdam

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2005
I much prefer my MagSafe dual charger that works flawlessly and I can take with me on my trips … shame they for now discontinued it because it’s not usb c …

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
The iPhone 15 melts by itself, no AirPower device required.

IMG_4925.jpg

Last edited:

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
Different world now when it was all-in Qi and here we are today with MagSafe back in our lives which was always superior.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
and then there were the rumors that Apple was working on wireless charging ability across a room - keep dreaming

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
The thing that always made me think the charging mat was a bad idea, beyond the heat it would generate, is that at least in the case of the iPhone, setting it on a flat desktop charger makes it difficult or impossible to see or use compared to a stand-style charger. And today we see the further benefit to the magnetic Qi charging on a stand with StandBy.

The thing that Apple really wants a workable solution for is over-the-air charging, so that you could charge your iPhone, AirPods or Apple Watch any time you are within sight of a charging unit, so that you don’t have to have any wires or pucks connected to your devices. But I don’t expect this will be reality for years, maybe decades.

Reactions: amartinez1660

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Magnets are a far better and more elegant solution. Apparently the industry thought so as well, since it's been adopted as a standard.

Qi chargers for me really were hit or miss. I could never get some chargers to work, especially with a case. MagSafe = no issues at all. The positive feedback it gives is really great, and is really so Apple.
MagSafe is one of Apple's best innovations. It's an idea that's so simple, but you wonder why it wasn't always this way.

Reactions: noraa

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
How do third party ones work without this melting issue I wonder?
The few like this that have ever come out have lots of active cooling, and most third party chargers require alignment, mostly with magnets these days obvs

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
So early prototypes were melting iPhones yet Marketing went on and on during a key note how great it was — ha!
Yeah, this seems like a huge screw up. I wonder if it was one of something like

1) the engineering team wasnt upfront with product about the problems, convinced they’d solve them

2) the product folks on the project werent upfront with those above them about the problems

or 3) high up product folks kept pushing even when engineers told them there were serious fatal flaws

(my bet is on one of the latter 2 options)

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
Apple overthink how to make a simple charger

They were trying to create something new that would be simpler and easier to use, not something merely simple to manufacture.

There are already countless basic wireless chargers out there, but Apple was attempting to create something better here, and good on them for trying.

Last edited:

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Apple's device was meant to be an all-in-one charger where the user could place any device on the pad with little to no positioning thought ... 'set it and forget it'. All the third party chargers are 1. Usually created with one two specific devices in mind, and 2. Demand precise positioning of the device on the pad in order to ensure proper charging.
So Apple was just too ambitious with their approach. Maybe someday?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Safety is above anything else. I bet the last thing Apple want is a massive recall after some fire accident and even loss of life.

It’s hard to overcome the fundamental shortcomings of current wireless charging technology.
Wireless charging overall seems like an inefficient and flawed concept with today's technology. I always was and continue to be fine with plugging my devices in with a wire when they need to charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.