Early results, no thermal throttling on i9 iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jonatious, Mar 29, 2019.

1. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

Depends on how you define "real world", when using applications that don't use multiple threads/cores (which sadly is a lot of applications), I think it is helpful in those situations. For applications that scale well though (photo/video export, encoding, some games, etc.) I completely agree. When looking at all computer users across the spectrum I think a lot people will benefit from those high turbos especially on single cores when doing basic tasks in those applications. Though hopefully people who are just doing basic word processing/web browsing/etc. aren't buying an i9 iMac just for that :)

2. WrightBrain macrumors regular

WrightBrain

I'd assume it's fine 80% of the time, but for the more intensive tasks switching off is beneficial just to keep the CPU temps down. I mean temps in the high 80's and 90's just aren't good for a machine.

I'm antsy about buying an iMac because my studio (26 - 28) gets really warm and I'm afraid how the ambient temps will affect it.

3. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Maybe that's why mine runs so quiet. I built my studio in my basement and it's chilly in the winter if I turn down the vent, but it's downright freezing in the summer if the a/c is running. I have to close up the vents in the summer. My teeth were actually chattering and I was shivering one time last summer not long after I built it and that was while running an Xbox One X and 4K 27" display. That's when I bought magnetic sheet vent covers that I cut to fit because the sliding control wasn't closing it tight enough. It was in the mid-90s that day (~35C) outside. At my old house my studio was over my uncooled garage and it was a higher level of hell sometimes.

4. igilphoto macrumors member

How can you choose to turn off the boost option ?

5. WrightBrain macrumors regular

WrightBrain

It's a third party app you can download for free or upgrade to the pro version.
    http://tbswitcher.rugarciap.com/

6. Melleken macrumors newbie

BREAKING NEWS? see my separate topic...

iMac 2019 i9 - WARNING > does thermal throttle !!!

7. Shivetya macrumors 68000

would love to see someone gaming with it across a few hours to see what the machine does. Just running a benchmark is useless for temperatures and throttling unless it runs more than just a few minutes, meaning - run it an hour or so

8. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502a

BigBoy2018

Yep. Benchmarks (I’m looking at you, Geekbench) tell us almost nothing when the issue of thermal throttling is at play.