Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmclark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Windham, ME
This thread is for people who have/are switching to AT&T from other carriers, especially Verizon. I am planning to within the next month or so, maybe on the launch date of the new iPhone, if I have the money.

The question I had was about the ETF. This will add an extra $95 to my purchase of the iPhone. My question is, since it's probably coming out after June 20th (the end of my billing month), when would I pay the ETF? Would I pay it right away, or would I wait until July 20th?

I kinda would like to know, since if I have to pay it up front, then I have to wait longer to get the phone. :mad: Oh well, any people who could help/guide me through the ETF process?

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
This just happened to me! Ok, I switched from verizon to AT&T. The Verizon EFT fee went on my last bill. For example, for me, my cycle ends on the 26th. I ported my number to AT&T on the 18th. On the 26th, Verizon sent me a bill that was one month (the month I'd used) + the EFT fee, which was due the 21st, just like usual. HTH :D

Jmclark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Windham, ME
This just happened to me! Ok, I switched from verizon to AT&T. The Verizon EFT fee went on my last bill. For example, for me, my cycle ends on the 26th. I ported my number to AT&T on the 18th. On the 26th, Verizon sent me a bill that was one month (the month I'd used) + the EFT fee, which was due the 21st, just like usual. HTH :D

Okay, so if I just get it right after my billing cycle ends, then I won't have to worry about paying the ETF until next month?

Vanilla Cocoa

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Keep watching Consumerist.com. Cell phone companies sometimes make changes to their contracts, and when they do that you can terminate the contract for free. (They can't just change the contract on you without providing you that option. If that's how it worked, then I'd just let AT&T know I'm changing the price of my plan to $1.00 a month.)

Jmclark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Windham, ME
Sorry for the bump, but I was just curious for people that have switched.

What did you bring with you when you got the iPhone? And what exactly do I do to switch?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sorry for the bump, but I was just curious for people that have switched.

What did you bring with you when you got the iPhone? And what exactly do I do to switch?

Bring your account number from your existing carrier, and ATT will do the switch for you. There's really no work for you to do other then providing the details they need to execute the transfer. After that be sure to cancel your old cell phone coverage.

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
Bring your account number from your existing carrier, and ATT will do the switch for you. There's really no work for you to do other then providing the details they need to execute the transfer. After that be sure to cancel your old cell phone coverage.

Won't activating the AT&T account automatically cancel the existing prior service? If you port your number over I assume.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Won't activating the AT&T account automatically cancel the existing prior service? If you port your number over I assume.

Why?

I had to call Verizon and cancel my account and if I hadn't done it, they would have blissfully kept charging me even though I had no phones with them. They are under no compulsion to cancel the account after the phone was transfered.

Bottom line, never assume anything, especially when its concerning money or getting billed.

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
Why?

I had to call Verizon and cancel my account and if I hadn't done it, they would have blissfully kept charging me even though I had no phones with them. They are under no compulsion to cancel the account after the phone was transfered.

Bottom line, never assume anything, especially when its concerning money or getting billed.

I was going off of this: http://banagale.com/how-to-switch-y...n-wireless-to-att-cingular.htm/comment-page-1

as well as a few other places where I read it. #'s 4-6

It looks like AT&T will cancel the verizon account when you port your number over. But I'm still on verizon waiting to do this once the new iphone comes out so i could be wrong here.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
When I ported my cell number from Verizon to AT&T, I had my mom under my plan. She stuck with Verizon while I moved my number over to AT&T. After the porting of my number was complete, I called Verizon to have the family plan converted to a single line for my mom. Next month, the bill came with the ETF. So you probably will want to call Verizon before/after you port your number to AT&T.

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
When I ported my number last week, when AT&T contacted Verizon, Verizon cancelled my account. However, there's no harm in calling Verizon just to make sure it was done :)

To answer Jmclark- I ordered a refurb iphone online. When it arrived, I just had to activate it. AT&T had already ported the number halfway when I placed my order. So as soon as I activated the iphone, the port was complete and I was able to use the iphone. The procedure is different if you buy in store.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
It's always good to call as a CYA; although 99% of the time porting your number to another carrier will automatically cancel your existing cell service with your existing carrier.

brent0saurus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2006
Keep watching Consumerist.com. Cell phone companies sometimes make changes to their contracts, and when they do that you can terminate the contract for free. (They can't just change the contract on you without providing you that option. If that's how it worked, then I'd just let AT&T know I'm changing the price of my plan to $1.00 a month.)

i'm at the consumerist now and don't see anything about contract changes. will they just post it when it happens?
it'd be nice if there was a section for this. someone should make a website that tracks when you can cancel your contract without an ETF! kind of like the macrumors buyers guide.

ie. Cancel Now! Contract Just Updated!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As stated, I had to call. When I got my iphone and transferred my phone # to ATT I was surprised to see that my verizon account was still active. Luckily, I had not waited too long in checking. Now I don't assume anything, when my wife got an iPhone, I called and made sure the account was going to be cancelled (again when I did call I found out it was still active).

Jmclark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Windham, ME
Okay, I'll have to check with Verizon after the switch. But when I go to AT&T is there anything else I need to tell AT&T or Verizon about leaving my contract?

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
If you are porting your number from Verizon (or any other U.S. carrier, for that matter) to AT&T, all you need is your Verizon account number and a valid ID.

When AT&T initiates the porting of the number, Verizon will cancel your account automatically and apply the ETF. You will be able to make calls immediately but it can take up to 24 hours before you can receive them (though it took considerably less for both myself and my wife when we switched).

Good luck.

Impatient

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
Consumerist is a great website but if you're planning on waiting for them to post something about verizon changing their terms of service and thus allowing people to cancel their contracts without an ETF you might as well wait out your contract. I'm thinking Verizon knows people like to jump ship for the iPhone and with the impending new iPhone release I don't think Verizon is going to be looking to give people the opportunity to do so by changing their terms of service right before WWDC.

(FYI- I'm one of those people who are looking to jump ship from Verizon for the iPhone. I'll also be breaking a contract that ends in Sept 2009 to do so)

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I'll also be breaking a contract that ends in Sept 2009 to do so

Man...with your contract expiring that close I'd just wait it out. Two months after release...no ETF, no waiting in line to get the phone, a software update (or two or three) will make general bugginess less likely, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.