Early to late macbook pro exchange, was I lucky?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djvic87, Feb 14, 2009.

1. djvic87 macrumors regular

Hi guys. Just wanted to say hi at first for coming to this forum for the first time. Before I ask my question, let me share you my story. Last february, I purchased my first macbook pro (early 2008) with applecare. Ever since I purchased the mac, I have sent the macbook pro for mail in repair more than 5 times. Until now, it was going to be the 6th time in a row. I couldn't hesitate any longer. I called Apple 2 days ago and requested an exchange and (with doubts) asked for the new unibody macbook pro. Once I spoke to a guy and explained my problem, he sent me to another group of people. From there on, a nice lady spoke to me and asked me about the problem. I told her how angry I have been with my mac, etc... I asked her if there is a possible way that I can have my mac exchanged for the unibody macbook pro. She had me waiting for more than 2 hours trying to find out until finally, she told me to go the next day to the Apple store to exchange my macbook pro for the newest one. I was like no way. I went and actually swap my early macbook pro for the newest one:eek:. Was I too lucky? This is why I ask:

1. I used to think that Apple is strict with their rules and policies; consider the fact that they usually exchange a specific model for the same one. I taught that they usually exchange it for a refurbish one. In better words, I never taught that an older macbook pro can be exchangeable for a newer one.

2. Can it be that there wasn't any more of the earlier models left in their Apple store?

3. Or was the lady too nice to me?

Please write back, anyone, thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They that for me too. They even threw in the display. Okay not really, but the difference was enough.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its just good customer service, the machines probably cost them less than $30 to make so its not like they're worried, especially with $20 billion in the bank.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, August 2007, I bought the MB and screen damaged and after being told it was cosmetic on my first visit, I went back to get it repaired and they said it would cost $700. Anyway, the Store Manager called me at home and I went to the Apple Store about 40 minutes later and walked out with the BlackBook 2.4 Penryn and turned over my MB 2.1, 120GB and they even transferred everything over for me in about one hour. Congrats on your new unibody MBP...:)

5. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, I never realized that the applecare protection plan is very valuable and useful. Please everyone keep sharing your stories, thanks!

6. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I think that's usually what happens (new model replacement). I sent my august 08 (early 08) MBP three times and they finally replaced it with an upgraded unibody in december.