early upgrade and switching it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dr Kevorkian94, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Quick question, another line i have is eligible for a discounted early upgrade, the 32gb it would coast $550. I don't want to do it on my line so my upgrade date stays in place for the iPhone 5. So can i just upgrade the other line then switch the sims?

2. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

Its an early upgrade so its not a full one, and the other line does not have a data plan. I just want my line to stay with the same upgrade date (or the other line to have my current one) because if that changes to a later date then there is no point in doing it.

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No problem, an Early Upgrade just means you add $250 to the full subsidy price. You can still follow the Upgrade Swap steps.

There will be thousands doing the same thing next Friday. Are you planning to go to the AT&T Corporate Store to complete the Swap?

It should be simple to complete the steps at home by calling AT&T Customer Care but some reps don't always get the steps correct and one of the most common errors is the fact the the donor phone's SIM gets deactivated and will need a new Mini-SIM ( not a Micro-SIM ).

On your line there are no changes needed, no contract or upgrade eligible dates change based on the Upgrade Swap. Yes, you will be able to reuse your existing Micro-SIM if you have an iPhone 4 ( you could also cut down your Mini-SIM using the Micro-SIM as a template if you don't already have a Micro-SIM ).

With AT&T or other GSM carriers, the phone number is attached to the active SIM, so if you reuse your active SIM in the new iPhone 4S it will have your phone number.

Dave

4. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

After hearing i could do this, I was planning to wait in line at the apple store and and get the phone there then since the AT&T store is on the way home go there. If that doesn't work then call AT&T customer service. My main concern is loosing the my current upgrade date witch will certainly set me up for next years iPhone so if i loose that I'm out of luck. My sim is a micro sim as i do have the iPhone 4, so i can just switch the sims after i get the phone and then go to the store and tell them to put the other lines plan back to the original?