early upgrade - Family plan = shaft

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brvheart, Jun 18, 2009.

1. brvheart macrumors 6502

Ok, so I check my availability to upgrade to the 3G S - it showed not available until 3/12/2010. I thought....wtf? I got this on launch day....so I call ATT and am told this -

you are on a family plan, you are the second line, that line does not generate $99 or more per month, so you are not able to upgrade that line with the early iphone upgrade program, is there anything else I can assist you with?

I think that I just got shafted

2. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I know it sucks but you have to realize that right now your line is actually only costing about $40 a month ($10 line charge + $30 data plan) whereas all the charges – for messaging, early nights and weekends, etc – is all placed on the primary line. Whether or not this process is “fair” is neither here nor there, it’s just how AT&T and most cell phone companies do things.

3. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

Did you mean the actual early upgrade prices of 400 and 500? I am a line on a family plan with unlimited texting, unlimited data, and the 10 dollar fee to have the line. I was able to get a 32 GB iPhone 3G S at the early upgrade price of 500 dollars, so I'm not sure what would be wrong. I got my iPhone 3G on launch day too.

4. PapaSmuffs macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation. What I did was I went to the store and bought the phone under of my eligible family members upgrades and I'm going to transfer it to my number once it comes in. Just make sure your family member isn't look for an upgrade anytime soon. :p