Early Upgrade for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dr2323, Aug 12, 2010.

1. dr2323 macrumors member

Well I have a problem right now, I thought that Apple said AT&T was going to allow anyone with an upgrade in 2010 to Upgrade for the iPhone early.

I went to an Apple store to upgrade to the iPhone 4, when my upgrade isnt due until September 19th. Basically a Month from today.

My question is, has anyone recently got At&t to attest and stand with their claim to allow early upgrades, and secondly has anyone been able to get an upgrade when you only have 1 month left on your contract? Cause I have been able to do this in the past with both Verizon and T-Mobile. I would expect At&t to do the same. Should I call At&t or attempt to go to another At&t store?:apple:

2. MicroApple macrumors regular

Go to the apple store, to check when your eligible, call *NEW# on your phone and it will send you a text with details on when you can upgrade.

Although I'm pretty sure September 19th IS the early upgrade for you, and you contract ends 6 months from then, (some time in 2011)

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Are you currently an iPhone user?

its my understanding that if you currently own a previous generation iPhone (3G or 3GS) and your contract is going to end in the next 6 months, then you are allowed an early upgrade now. But if you own any other phone on AT&T, you must wait for your contract to end.

The 6 months early agreement is only for current iPhone owners.

4. dr2323 thread starter macrumors member

I am a current iPhone user with a 3G. And to the other poster, no my actual 2 year contract ends September. I can switch to another service provider at that time if I choose to do so. So going to Apple is the best way to go about it?

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Then you should be eligible now. All iPhone users eligible in 2010 would have been eligible back in June.

6. billycuth macrumors 6502a

FYI - my date was September 26th, and I was not a previous iphone user (I had a razr 2). I went to an ATT Corporate store on 7/16 and the manager at the store approved me to upgrade over 2 months early. The only issue was, I had gift cards to pay with, so I couldn't order the phone - they had to be in stock. Fast forward to this past Tuesday, August 11th, still over a month from my normal update date (47 days to be exact) and the store got some 32GB phones in and the manager held 2 for me. I got EXTREMELY lucky - however if you are a good long-time customer with no payment history issues, they WILL extend an EXCEPTION upgrade, which does NOT incur and "early" upgrade fees. I paid $299 plus tax for the phones - there were no $75 early upgrade fees or anything (aside from the standard $18 upgrade fee that goes on the first bill). I hope that helps!

7. ThatMakeUpGirl macrumors newbie

This isn't correct. I'm a Blackberry user at the moment, and I have an early upgrade. My upgrade happens to be a year early.