Early Upgrade on Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Halamire, May 21, 2013.

1. Halamire macrumors regular

Halamire

So, I have a friend who has a Droid 4 and has gone through 3 of them in the past 6 months. Her third replacement was given a month ago and crapped out of Friday. We went to the verizon store today and all they want to do is give her a replacement phone and she is fed up with it. (Which is understandable).
    Is there anyway to talk to customer service to where they will give her a free upgrade to an iPhone or anything we can do so I can reduce her costs of getting a new phone.
    Its pretty ridiculous that Verizon doesn't help out their customers at all.

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Early Upgrade on Verizon

My dad did this but he got 7 replacements and he had the droid x. Ge asked for the droid x2 and Verizon let him. Still had same problem. Then his upgrade tome came...

Attempt to threaten that you going to leave. My dad got $50 off his upgrade from this problem and got the S3

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

3. Halamire thread starter macrumors regular

Halamire

yeah thats what i'm going to do, the in-store reps were useless so i'm going to call customer service and get something done.
    but her upgrade is nowhere close. since she just signed the contract in August.

But store reps said that they could offer her an early upgrade, but it would just be at a discounted price with an instore trade in. I don't believe thats right. I was going to mention that they only want her to upgrade to another android because they want the commission they get off android, because they were highly against her upgrading to an iphone, when she first got the droid and they seemed pretty against giving her an early upgrade on an iphone.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no early upgrades on Verizon.
    All they will prob do is replace the phone with the same model or a newer android.
    Really doubt they will offer an iphone but you can always try.

5. BoostDeuce macrumors member

After a few problems with a HTC thunderbolt, Verizon told me about 2 months ago I could have an early upgrade, but only to a Galaxy S3. They said the iphone is not eligible for early upgrade.

Threaten to leave and they will let you leave. they said it doesn't matter who they go through, they are not allowed to early upgrade to an iphone.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Verizon couldn't care less if you leave. 5 others will replace you. You're not going to early upgrade to an iPhone.

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Verizon will give you an early upgrade but not to an iPhone. They're pretty good about just about every other phone...not entirely sure why the iPhone is excluded, but maybe the behind the scenes costs are higher for Verizon on the iPhone than other phones?

When I was on AT&T I vaguely remember arguing for an early upgrade and getting a similar answer-I could get any smartphone except an iPhone or their flagship HTC Windows Mobile phone.

If I had to speculate, I would guess that the costs are high enough that Verizon doesn't recoup the difference as quickly as they do on phones with more favorable pricing for them.

If you threatened to leave they'd probably do something to help you out. But be prepared-know what the ETF cost would be, look at what it would cost on a new provider (like Sprint, which knocks an additional $100 off the iPhone for new customers) and point out to Verizon that it would cost less to cancel and buy the phone elsewhere than it would to buy a new phone at full price on Verizon. And make sure they understand if that's your option then you'll just cancel.

Be very polite, and be nice to the first two people you speak with-they are probably on the lower tiers of service, and don't have much authority to fix anything big for you. Ask to speak to a supervisor, and when you reach someone with serious authority, then play hardball. But stomping all over the person who barely has authority to do more than take a basic phone order is just going to set a nasty tone for the whole interaction.

8. BoostDeuce macrumors member

Verizon told me that the reason I couldn't early upgrade to an iphone was not in their control, it was apples control.

I don't know if I really believe that or not. I guess every customer service rep is different

9. Reaper0bot0, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013

Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

Do you think there might be a difference in the size of subsidy?

10. Applejuiced, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, that's the bs line all carriers like to give.
    Its not up to us, its Apples fault.
    Apple just sells the phone, they don't control who gets subsidies and who don't.
    That's up to the carriers discretion but they like to point the finger to Apple.
    Same thing when you were asking AT&T to unlock your iphone and they said they cannot, Apple doesn't allow them.

11. iphone46 macrumors regular

I got an early upgrade to an iPhone 5 however I was forced to give them my old phone. Email marni.walden@verizonwireless.com and explain your situation. Leave a phone number.

12. cynics macrumors G4

Verizon doesn't give a crap. I had a data plan with a tablet with them. My account says I'm "eligible for upgrade" but I look online and they doesn't subsidize tablets anymore. So I called and explained my situation. I have a Xoom and would like to use my upgrade on an iPad 4. They told me no and to check out the note 2 (wtf) I then asked them if I could put the note 2 on my data only plan, they said no, I then asked them how was that an upgrade if it cost me an additional 100 dollars a month, round and around we went.

Finally I told them to just cancel the plan its a better deal to just go with AT&T who at least offers 100 off.

Later that night I got a phone call from a supervisor who asked me about my experience. I told him the rep was fine but their policies are terrible. They sold me a product and locked me in a contract with an early termination fee and when I was finally able to upgrade they dont offer it anymore. So he offered to give me a note 2 at a higher discount. I just asked him if he was serious, when he proudly said yes I said goodbye and hung up.

13. mrschanah macrumors newbie

Verizon won't let you do an early upgrade to an iphone 5. I talked to a customer service rep and they will let you do an early upgrade to any phone except an iphone. Its not their control its Apple's.

14. Voch macrumors member

Agreed. I'm in the "have to wait four extra months" group for my next iPhone (I'm less than a week into the new January 2014 period). :mad:

Sorry if that's an OT rant...