Early vs. Late 2013 13" rMBP Purchase ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Foreverbfc, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Foreverbfc macrumors newbie

Here’s my dilemma,

Just after the announcement of the Late 2013 rMBP I noticed in Apple’s Refurb store an early 2013 13” rMBP for $1259. I felt it was an excellent deal and didn’t think the updates where that big of a deal, but I’m now starting to ask myself if I should just get the newer model out. Would love some help from everyone.
    Here are the specs of the early 2013 I picked up from the Refurb store:
    • 2.6GHz Processor
    • 8GB Memory (RAM)
    • 256GB SSD

A comparable Late 2013 rMBP (with Student Discount) would be $1,399 for:
    • 2.4GHz Processor
    • 8gb Memory (RAM)
    • 256GB SSD

I use my laptop for the following:
    • Web Browsing, email, note taking
    • iMovie, iPhoto
    • Aperture
    • Possibly light use of Photoshop, FCP, & Lightroom

Price cannot exceed $1,399.
    I would be interested in hearing honest opinions on performance comparisons in general. I realize the SSD speeds will be slightly higher, but in general, would you say saving/spending approx. $130 makes sense in either direction?

Thanks!

2. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Not sure if you saw the thread with the poll I put up (includes a 3rd model as well as the two you have listed), but the late model is beating the early model 20-0 at the moment. I'm kinda surprised because I'd think the early model is a pretty decent deal as well. Tradeoff is price for some battery life (and being newer).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1662080

3. JayCee842 macrumors 6502a

JayCee842

I went with the early model 13 inch rMBP. I'm going to try it out and see if it's worth keeping. If not, I'll just return it and buy the newest model. :)