Earn $1300 for iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by N3wbie, May 18, 2009.

1. N3wbie macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm really craving one of those snazzy iMac's that apple has out there.

I am 14, turning 15 June, 30th.

How could a young fellow like myself earn roughly $1300 dollars for an iMac?

They are $1199.00 + 7% tax, would be around $1282.93, so $1300 would be awesome.

I'm pretty much willing to do anything (except prostitution, lol) to earn that. My old computer is a 1.4ghz, and sucks.

I'm really into online gaming, and this would be perfect for me, as it is one of the cheapest macs with decent computer specs.

So once again, how could I make $1300 dollars over the summer?

Also, if anyone has an iMac. Could they tell me if they are worth it?

2. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Get a job. About the only thing you can do. And they are worth it if you want a Mac. I'm 16 and I want the most expensive iMac, I am going to get a job to save up for one.

3. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

http://PowerMax.com has them tax free. might save you some money.

If you have a website that gets a lot of hits you could put ads on it. It is almost free money.

4. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Online poker maybe? If you play right, you can turn $100 into $1300 in two months.

5. yoyomaster macrumors regular

haha, being 14 I doubt he has a checking account or a credit card, and can't legally play in the first place, it's a quick way to lose running into donkeys. I say save up any gift money, do extra chores for family members for cash and what not, I don't know too many places that will hire a 14 year old.

6. frimple macrumors 6502

Sell books, seriously. I knew a guy that made $8.5k in about 4 months. Of course, that was a christian tag-team setup but I'm sure you could make $2.5k in D2D sales.

Edit:

"That guy" also went to school for 12 years and came out with an MD and MBA so maybe he just had that "drive"

7. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

When I was 14 I was delivering newspapers, mowing lawns, shoveling snow and eventually flipping burgers to get my dinero.

If you are in a state that allows you to work at a fast food franchise, or on a farm, etc, with a special work permit (normally you have to be home by 7 or 8 pm on week nights, etc) you can make enough money over the course of the summer to buy a computer pretty easily.

You can find a working lawn mower on Craigs List for about $120 and typically earn $10-$20 to mow a lawn.

You should be able to do 6-8 lawns in a weekend if you are busting your ass, so you can earn that computer money very quickly (a few months).

8. BigRedOne macrumors regular

I would advise you to talk your situation over with your parents. They will be in a better positioned to address your particular situation as it pertains to working and buying a $1300.00 dollar computer. I suspect if you have an open discussion with them they would provide the feedback that would help you define your goals and the best path to achieve them. Good luck!

9. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

10. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

I would go to a computer shop, where they say Apples and stole it. /sarcasm off/

11. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Simple. Get a job. I spent 2 years work at Mcdonalds while I was at college. Crap customers, but the staff are absolutely amazing. So funny.

But yeah, it helped pay for my car and actually support myself without my parents assisting me.

But bottom line is, if you want that kind of money, this isn't a simple case of washing cars. You could ask for some money for your birthday to go towards a new computer? At least you have a starting point then

Also, you could try looking for a cheaper Mac. Maybe one of the last generation as they were pretty damn good too. Or the Refurb store.

Good luck!

12. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

A last gen refurb would probably be best for you....

there are easy steps to making money fast....

1) buy drugs from the local ghetto in your area for a cheap price.

2) process and dilute some of the drugs

3) sell it to the rich area with a marked up price.

See this is proof that you actually do learn something in math class, playing drug wars on a TI-83.......

13. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

OT: Dope Wars is a banging game. Got it on my Mac for those 'bored' times

to the OP: you could, but, is it worth jail?

14. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Yes, this. ;)

Be prepared to get a job, any job. You need to contribute to, if not carry the majority of, the monetary requirements of a purchase that size. It's a great lesson to learn, and it will make you appreciate it that much more. :)

Good luck!

15. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Hold your breath and stomp your feet until Mum or Dad give you what you want?! Well I guess it's an idea... ;)

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I like this suggestion http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Smilies/devil_angel.gif

17. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I would tell you to write iPhone apps, you could pull in 1300$ in a couple of days tops. Too bad you need an iPhone/intel Mac to do that :p

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Although they may think it's a bit strange at first, I'd talk to your parents about it. Tell them you've done some research and you think this iMac will suit your needs and you are looking for a way to earn some money to buy it. Maybe they'll contribute some to it but don't go into the conversation expecting that.

It may take you a while to save that much but I like that you're looking to earn it instead of a handout. [​IMG]

Consider a refurb too, might save you some cash.

Good luck!

19. Annngel macrumors regular

I study hard in school and my parents bought it for me as a gift for doing well.

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just get a job. You can easily earn $1300 in two months. Many companies need an extra hand because of summer holidays.

I made 3000€ in two months few years ago. I was working 7 hours a day, 5 times a week and I was doing warehouse work (it tough but pays well and lose 10 kilograms of weight too).

Best thing is if your parents can borrow you some money and work for 'em later on.

21. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

One thing to say here: DO NOT TURN UP YOUR NOSE AT HARD LABOR. That's what I did last summer (shoveling mulch 6 hours a day) and I was grateful for the money it made me. It built character too,

22. Prabz26 macrumors regular

Prabz26

my friend stole some kids
    macbook

so he got a mac when he wanted one
    you can always try that lol

not my best recomendation but if you are desperate
    im working for one mcdonalds is hiring
    and i work there so no joke intended

my birthday is so close to your 4 days before
    and thats when im gettin mine :D

23. GregE macrumors 6502

Look to see what you have and don't need anymore. Then sell it on e-bay or Craigslist. My kids wanted a Wii so we sold an old Sega, old Gameboy, old digital camera that didn't work, and other stuff. Had enough for the Wii and some games in no time. Do this in addition to a job and you should get enought money pretty quick.

24. arcadeforest macrumors member

I'm not sure of this but wouldn't you qualify for the education discount? If so that gets you $50 closer to your goal.

25. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

While I think it's bad to tie gifts to academic performance and it's always irksome when parents drop a ton of cash for their kids, I'm with this option.

preaching/

You're 14 so you're just starting HS. You have got to start worrying about your GPA and resume. I'd start looking for academic things to do during the summer. There are a lot of research programs where you get to play lab monkey but pick stuff up as well. This kind of stuff looks way better in a college app than flipping burgers at micky-Ds.

I had friends that worked labor jobs in HS. They had cool stuff that I didn't. But I got into a good college because colleges weren't really impressed with busting 40 hours a week doing mindless stuff. As a result, they are still doing 40 hours a week (more now to make ends meet) doing mindless stuff.

I'm am all for learning to earn what you want. However, you have to be careful that you don't let your short-term goals eclipse the greater good. People are here are saying you should do anything to get your iMac, but if you keep that mentality you'll be doing anything to get the next best thing forever. Being patient and putting something off for the greater good is a virtue as well.

I'm not saying that stacking shelves is going to keep you out of college and ruin your future. I just want to temper what everyone else is saying.

So that I'm not a total kill-joy, a lot of research positions have stipends associated with them... mine was around $3000 for the summer if I recall.

/preaching