Earphone help.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ShaneBunting, Nov 19, 2013.

1. ShaneBunting Suspended

I've £200 for earphones and would like to know the best ones from owners, not big overhead things, like ear buds.

I currently use EarPods, so they'll need to out do them if I'm going to spend anything!

Thanks!

2. iBrody macrumors 6502

You haven't said what type of music you listen to or whether you want overall mid-hump bass or a neutral sounding phone?

Try the Head-Fi forum to narrow down your choices.
    http://www.head-fi.org/f/103/portable-headphones-earphones-and-in-ear-monitors

Basic rule of buying expensive in-ear headphones is to buy a set with dynamic drivers (single driver in each phone) if you prefer fun sound where there are likely to be more options for bass emphasis, and buy a set with balanced armature drivers (normally 2 or 3 drivers in each phone dedicated to bass and mid etc) if you want a neutral sound, although there are b/a phones with extra bass like the Sony's and Ultimate Ears.

From memory (three years ago), some of the most renowned and popular earphones for your budget are (or were) as follows (but not all the ranges offer iPhone controls built into the cable):

Balanced Armature:
    Shure (SE range)
    Westone (1, 2 and 3)
    Ultimate Ears
    Sony (XBA range)

Dynamic:
    Sennheiser
    Audio Technica
    JVC Victor (Japan)
    Denon
    Monster (Turbine and Turbine Pro range)
    Klipsch (X5 and X10)
    Jays

3. Rotajo macrumors newbie

Are you planning on using these on planes where it is loud and constant or a place like an office or at home?

4. ShaneBunting thread starter Suspended

Noisy old busses and quiet classrooms, a strange combination

5. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Klipsch S4i. Don't spend your entire budget on these, plus high end units tend to put you at higher risk for theft.

Use the Shure yellow foam tips and you will be a happy camper.