Earphone Jack Broken

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by indy42, Mar 16, 2010.

1. indy42 macrumors newbie

I have a 1st gen Ipod touch, had it for about 2 and a half years. Only recently, the earphone jack has started failing. Not completely, but when you plug in any earbuds/phones, you basically hear the music like an instrumental, without the voice track (or very muted).

The only way to get it to work properly is to move the jack around for a few minutes to find a place it works.

Is this a common problem? Can it be fixed?

2. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Look around websites like iFixit to see if you can open it and replace the jack yourself.

I don't think that's possible with the touches though.

Apple will also repair it too, for a fee. The prices are on their website, quite reasonable given that you'll get a replacement like new iPod (the same generation as your own) rather than just having yours fixed.

3. Don2 macrumors newbie

The instrumentals are still loud while the voice is hard to hear? - Sounds like a bigger issue than replacing the headphone jack.

Are you sure someone didn't mess with equalizer settings on your IPOD?

I am sure you already no about this but just in case.

But if it is the Jack since you did the wiggle test and got response> I have wondered if one couldn't solder a thin line of solder on the headset jack itself and that way it would be just a little tighter and make better contact in the socket.

4. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

Had this exact problem in my 2g ipod touch. I brought it to an apple store and they found the problem. There was lint in the dock connector making the ipod think it had headphones in and was connected so it didnt know what to do. I would suggest seeing if you can clean out the bottom.

If this isnt the problem wait for the new touch and or just get a 3g

5. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

open up your ipod...i think the headphone jack assembly might need a replacement

check out www.ifixit.com

6. mosiejczuk macrumors member

7. metalhead777 macrumors regular

Dang, that's one old school iPod. Okay okay, calm down iPod Classic, we know you're super old. Anyway, that's actually pretty cool! Sometimes I'll be listening to a song that I love listening to the instrumental, but the voice kills it. *coughlinkincoughparkcoughcough* Back on topic, I would just rather buy a new iPod Touch instead of sending in for repairs or disassembling it. Glad to be of help to you! :) :D :apple: