Earphones for iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Syrus28, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Syrus28 macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

I plan on getting the new iPhone, and wanted a little advice on some earphones.

Now that there is no recessed jack, it would seem that my choices would open up, but I haven't found much. I wanted a play/pause and microphone button, similar to the ones Apple included. But most earphones (non-recessed) I looked at did not include this. I saw the Vibe Duos, but will the longer jack work with the Iphone 3G? If not, what are some alternatives? I would prefer something around $100. Thanks!

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

They'll work fine with any device that uses miniplug. The plug is not longer, the rubber surrounding the jack is just smaller so that it can fit in the recessed jack of the original iPhone. I have them and highly recommend them.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I got the iJack.com at MWSF '08, it works quite well with my Bose In-Ear Headphones. I can tap the button twice, just like the original iPhone headset, and move to the next song in the shuffle, also has a microphone attached. :cool:

4. toss002 macrumors regular

What happens when a call comes in?

When using a 3rd party earphones (without a microphone), what happens when a call comes in? How would we answer the call? :eek:

5. Fuchal macrumors 68020

using your phone

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You have to (realistically) take your earphones out and answer the call like you would if you were not wearing earphones.

7. toss002 macrumors regular

Do we hear the caller through the earphones, and speak by holding close to our mouth?

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I just did a test run on your question; and yes, I can hear the other person on the headset and I was able to speak into my iPhone...I have the Bose In-Ear Headphones, so no need for the adapter/mic. :p

9. toss002 macrumors regular

Thank you very much. Just wanted to know, so I'd be ready to get a pair for my new 3G.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just be aware that there are older headphones that didn't work with v1 iPhone, but will work just fine with the 3G since they are no longer dealing with the recessed headphone minijack. :cool:

11. toss002 macrumors regular

Thanks, I will test some of the pairs I already have, but will likely get NEW one pair (flush) with the best sound quality from the Apple store. Or from an electronic store.

12. Syrus28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

OK, so does anyone recommend any other earphones besides the Vibe Duo? Also, I'm not to sure about buying a separate microphone/play-pause extender because I'm worried the cord will be to long. Anyone who has this set-up care to comment?

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I'm really hoping Apple will have a new radio remote with a mic available on the 11th...

Phazer

14. reboad macrumors member

I doubt you'll find good ones with a mic, well sure if you're willing to pay enough..

I'd buy the extender and something like sennheiser cx300 to go with it.

15. meglet macrumors member

meglet

I had the Shure iPhone headphone extension, which includes a mic and play/pause button. I was using it with the short section of a pair of Sony EX-71 headphones, and found that not only did the mic sit too low for callers to hear me, the whole setup was way too long.

For proper iPhone headphones, I highly recommend the Sennheiser mm 50 iP. They are a fairly recent release, so there are not many reviews around the 'net, but the sound quality is good, (noticeably better than my Sony EX51/71 phones, which I liked) the play/pause button is easy to hit, and the cord length is just right-shorter than normal, but long enough to reach a belt clip with a bit left over.

16. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

17. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Hmm.. might look at those. I've had a series of EX51s and EX71s as they have the best sound of those I've heard. I'll have to see if I can get a sound test.

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj