Earphones... V-MODA?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by doobi18, Jun 24, 2008.

1. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Simply: I need a new pair of buds. Looking for fairly good sound in-ear buds to use with my iPhone. Thought I may as well get built-in mic & clicker, though it's non-essential, and I would quite like these to last a while. I'm trying to spend arpund the AUD $100-120 mark.

Here are the main options:

* V-MODA
    Vibe Duo (found from private seller for $110 <well below RRP>, though not sure if I can then recieve warranty cover, and have read reviews of huge +/- range)

* Sennheiser
    CX300 (RRP $80 - no mic - I've used 2 pairs last two years, they don't seem to last)
    MM 50 iP (RRP $100 - pretty much same as above but with mic & small jack)

* Shure
    SE110 (RRP $130 - normal audiophile buds)

* Harman Kardon
    EP710 (RRP $130 - normal audiophile buds)

* Ultimate Ears
    metri.fi 2 (RRP $100 - normal audiophile buds)

* Audio Technica
    ATH-CK7 (RRP $130 - normal audiophile buds)

* Koss
    KEB24 (RRP $70 - normal audiophile buds)

* VSonic
    R02-Pro (RRP $90 - supposedly good buds from maker relatviely unknown)

Please tell me what you think of any of these models or provide any advice you're willing to give

Many thanks, Jasper

2. meglet macrumors member

meglet

I got a pair of Sennheiser MM 50 iP headphones last week. Since there was hardly any info on the 'net about these, I posted a review on Amazon. Here's what I said:

After a few more days of use (I posted the review after only a day) I like these headphones even more. They are much clearer and more comfortable than my Sonys were.

Can't help you with the long term use, but I haven't noticed any obvious weak points in the construction.

3. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

I have had the V-MODA Vibe Duo for 2.5 months and like 'em fine. They sound great (gotta say I do use the Treble Boost eq setting on the iPhone). I treat them tenderly because of all the horror stories about them dying after 3 months (almost there, will see). I store them in their little travel pouch while not in use. Contrary to some reports, the cloth coating on the wires seems to be MORE prone to tangling than the rubberized coating was. They seem to be no better or worse at falling out of the ears than any others I've tried, and are comfortable enough for me to wear for hours, which is saying a lot for my sensitive ears. The little button on the mike is just as difficult to find "blind" as everyone says it is, but it works well, as does the mike itself. The mike is heavy, so you might find it to your advantage to use the supplied collar clip. I did for awhile, removed it, and am considering putting it back on, because the mike tends to hang up on the collars of button-front shirts. Finally, I ordered mine directly from the company on the advice of a company rep. At that time, they had just redesigned the buds (she said) to try and correct some of the problems, and many resuppliers (she said) might still have the older models. The price was 100 USD even, and shipping was free (probably not for you in Oz, I guess). Hope this helps!

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I am a Shure fan boy, but the SE110s are just, well bad advice. I would recommend:

1. A pair of E3's or E4's (if you are willing to cut the cable so that you could use the Shure MPA. I imagine thats what you'll be doing for the voice capibility, or just buy an adaptor)

2. HK's

3. DJays (look them up, great bang for buck, not audiophile quality, but most of your list wasn't. They are known for a little heavy on the bass, but good construction and great prices)

5. doobi18 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your opinions guys!

anyine else, please feel free to post your opinion too!:)

6. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

7. doobi18 thread starter macrumors 6502

how so? please tell me - eg sound quality or durability, etc?

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

This Should Help

9. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

I have read some good reviews of these guys iphone headsets. go check out there site it would be easier than explaining it all here. http://www.ultimatebuds.com/store/home.php?cat=3

i pre ordered the ub5's as i cannot spend the bucks for the e6's

10. doobi18 thread starter macrumors 6502

wow they look just lie the V-MODAs but a fraction of the price!

11. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

Well they also come with working mic and button just like the apple phones, they also have great customer service. these guys are really nice and will email really quick with answers .

12. McGiord, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

13. ZigZagLens macrumors member

buds

I have the Etymotic HF2 and absolutely love them.

14. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

+1. Bought the V-Moda's when they first came out, direct from the manufacturer. After a few months (3 or 4 IIRC) they died. Sent them back, and two weeks later got a second pair. Within a month the cap for the mic separated from the body and the right side driver died. I still need to send them back, so that I can get a replacement to sell.

Bought the HF2, and after a few months they're still going strong and sound phenomenal.

15. lovemyiphone macrumors member

I have the V-Moda duo and they have been sent in for warrenty. The wire had a short and one of the earphones quit working. Three weeks and still don't have them back. Would not buy again.

16. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

17. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

yah i sent in both my vibes and vibe duos for breaking after about 4 months.

they are sending me back a new pair of the regular vibes.. while i asked about the new version of the duos and was told they will be out in around 3 to 4 weeks so i am having them hold my duos and send me the news ones when they come out..
    hope the 2nd revision will be better made..:eek: