Earphones with Mic?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fed, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Fed macrumors 6502

I am in the market for a new pair of earphones. In recent years I've stuck with the default iPhone earphones but prior to that I was a fan of Sony Bassboost (cheap and cheerful). However they lack a certain je ne sais quoi.

So far I have identified these Bose earphones but I can't decide whether they're right for me.

1. Can anyone comment on the quality of these earphones?
    1.1. Am I paying a massive premium for slightly better sound quality?
    2. Which earphones can you recommend that have a mic?

Please note that I despise the ones that are 'in-ear' and therefore these Bose earphones are a 'push' (from what I understand, these are less 'in-ear' and more 'just-in-ear') for me.

2. Bilalo macrumors 6502

If you dont mind headphones, I know great and stylish ones with amazing sound for everything, veryyy comforting (6-8 hour use straight no complaints), not bulky at all, easily foldable and they have a mic so perfect for talking as well, they are http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/P3/explore.html B&W P3
    They go for 169 british pounds if i am not wrong

3. Fed, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

Fed thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm actually after earphones as they're more discrete and the mic is primarily for phone calls whilst in the car. Though I'll definitely note these down - perhaps for home use.

Ideally I'd like the iPhone earphones - just better quality sound ! :)

4. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Then you're left with these :D which are more awesome than the P3 and they are earphones :) with a mic :D

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/C5/features.html :D
    Amazing sound for listening to music as well as mic, just check it out ofcourse :)
    Bowers and Wilkins C5

5. LaunchpadBS, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

1. Very good biuld quality as with most Bose products
    1.1. You'll always pay a premium for em+ the sound quality isn't that great compared to a set 1/3 the price.
    2. Etymotic MC3 were my first pair of in-line mic earphones and they work really well, only gripe is they could have more bass.
    Just seen Shure now have the SE115 with in-line Mic for £85. I'd say they'd be first choice.

Just out of curiosity why don't you like the in ear headphones?

6. Bilalo macrumors 6502

And also from the front page of macrumors, apple seems to have made new earphones so wait a couple weeks and buy the new apple earphones if they suit you well :p but again you have the Bose ones and the C5 both being terrific, sennheiser also :p

7. Fed thread starter macrumors 6502

They feel very uncomfortable in my ear. I constantly feel like I need to adjust the position and tinker with the settings. Whereas if you check out the Sony Bassboost earphones, they slide into your ear for added hold (fits much more securely) but they're fat enough not to irritate me at all! But with the proper in-ear ones, the ball-shaped makes me cringe before I even put them in.

Slight side note, the picture above isn't the pair I used to have. Perhaps they've updated them.

But thanks for the recommendation! I'll have a look!

8. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

You have a valid point but these days most premium in ear buds come with three different types of 'bud' so if you don't like one just try another, I personall prefer the in ear cones, kinda like ear plugs for swimming, fit tight, can barely feel them and they do not move.

9. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Have you looked at the C5? They are quite comfortable to be honest, I have your same problem but like they said, ear buds can be changed to diff sized, I usually need the small or x small and the normal would come in medium size. Buying 10 ear buds cost like $3 on ebay so :p

10. Fed thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I know what you're referring to actually. The Bose earphones linked in the original post come with three different types of buds. Perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick then, hmm. Do you think if I bought some on Amazon, took them out the pack and tried them out, I'd still be able to return if I didn't like them? I can see Amazon having a valid 'hygiene' argument...

11. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Couldn't say, but there is a 7 day return policy so you should be covered.

12. Fed thread starter macrumors 6502

I ended up buying the Bose MIE2i last night on eBay for £65 including postage costs. Can't wait for them to come now. They're apparently brand new and still sealed but possesses slight damage to outer-box. He seemed fairly legit, good feedback and has sold quite a few headphones in recent months.

I'll post a little review when I receive them :D Thanks for all of the help.

A slight side point, I'm really starting to resent paying for electrical goods in the UK. Simply comparing the U.S. to UK Amazon store shows huge disparities in pricing. I understand that this may not include State taxes or whatever else is in the U.S. tax system but still. $130 at today's rate is £82. They're £113.95 on Amazon, not even Curry's or Apple as linked above. Even with George's VAT it's still short of £100.

13. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Let us know what they're like.

And yes I agree, welcome to the wonderful world of taxes!!!
    At least we're better off than most other EU countries, and Australia!