Earpiece and proximity sensor not working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eiprol, Jan 31, 2010.

1. eiprol macrumors regular

eiprol

Hi all,

I've had an iPhone 3G for one year and a half. I Opened it up a few months ago to change the back cover, which was broken; and I broke a bit the plastic piece of connector 3 of the mother board (see at the Attached image); However, It worked perfectly... Until now, that I've reopened my iPhone to change again the backcover (false covers aren't very good...), and when I finished... Noticed that the earpiece is not working! I can't hear anything while calling! I know that the connector 3 of the screen is the cause, because proximity sensor isn't working neither...

But my question is:
    Is there any way to know which part of the "connector 3" has been broken? The MoBo, or the Screen Flex? Because if it's the second, I can replace it for a few bucks, but if not... :S
    Or... Is there any other connector that I could damage or put badly, so they are doing contact with wrong pieces, etc etc? Notice that I had to disarm the whole iPhone to change the cover... So perhaps...

I hope you've understood me, despite my english...
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

I would say it is the mobo - where I see the damage there to the right, the two right hand pins on this connector are for the earpiece. You can tell if it is the ribbon by putting an Ohm meter on the two right hand terminals on the ribbon - you should get about 30 Ohms resistance reading if earpiece is still working.

If you get this reading on the ribbon alone not plugged in, then it is the mobo and you may be in trouble.

Spencer

3. eiprol thread starter macrumors regular

eiprol

Thank you, I'll try with and Ohm meter as soon as I get one, hope this afternoon/night...
    Being the Mobo scares me... I'll check it!

PS. The proximity sensor, that (I think) is also connected through ribbon 3, is not working... So maybe that "damage to the right" you can see in the picture, is not the cause, and the mobo is ok... :(

PS. That damage at right was done the first time I Opened the iPhone, and It worked fine...

4. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

OK - you might just need a new ribbon then - readily available and hardest part is carefully removing the metal spring holder to get at it.

5. eiprol thread starter macrumors regular

eiprol

Hi again;

I tried to ckeck the earpiece trought the ribbon with an Ohm meter, but I obtained 0-ohms, so I tought the earpiece was broken... I opened it up, just to ckeck the earpiece separately, and surprise! It works, 30ohms... What happens? Is it possible that the ribbon has been broken? It's just a flex cable... I'm confused

6. CupertinoiPhone macrumors member

You have damaged the Logic Board - It is a BRICK now

Thanks for posting the picture. You have broken the Connector on the Right Hand Side of the #3 Flip Switch. People break this a lot. You tried opening it from wrong place or using incorrect tools.

Changing the Proximity Sensor Ribbon Cable will not solve the problem.

I am sorry to say, but your iPhone is BRICK now and cannot be fixed.

-Ganesh

7. eiprol thread starter macrumors regular

eiprol

That sounds bad...:(

However, is there any possibility to solve the problem? I broke that connector One year ago, and was the last week, when it stop working, After manipulate the Screen and the Case :S

8. eiprol thread starter macrumors regular

eiprol

Good news! I've replaced the Ribbon 3, and the problem is gone! Now, everything works! It's weird, I know... But it's true :D :D

Thanks !

9. hectordtruong macrumors member

As a repair shop, you should know better than to tell someone there is nothing that they can do about that. It is NOT a brick. I repair these connectors every day with 100% success. http://modmyi.com/forums/hardware/691164-broke-connector-3-locking-mechanism.html

10. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

Ganesh, your kidding right??

what happens is people dont turn off the iPhone before taking it apart to do their own repair off eBay for less than $20 but it turns out costing way more cause they dont know what they are doing! you should always turn it off and I can guarantee you 100% that is what happened! you can take the metal cover off of the proximity sensor if you are careful and replace it. the piece in your pic that is broke on the connector on #3 is not good but it is not a killer either!

11. CupertinoiPhone macrumors member

It clearly looked broke in the picture.

Good to know that changing the proximity sensor worked. The connector looked damaged from the image & that is I though it is a gone case.

I did not knew that there are some guys who can fix the connectors when I posted that it is BRICK. Now I know. Thanks.

-Ganesh

12. hectordtruong macrumors member

We learn something new everyday! :)

13. boomer99 macrumors newbie

How did you replace the sensor cable? I have the same problem. Also, where did you order your cable from?

thanks!

14. eiprol thread starter macrumors regular

eiprol

Hi!

I ordered it at www.ibricoshop.es (Spanish shop), but I think you could find it everywhere. It was about 10€. (I've been looking for it now, and I think it's out of stock :S)

You have to open up your iPhone, and look at the back of the screen; remove this screw (attached pic), and just try to remove the metal cover which is under it, and goes to the right in the image (it covers the earpiece and the sensor) with a lot of care, because you can damage the LCD if you push the wrong side.. (I did..). It's easy to remove, but you should do it softly to avoid problems..
    Once you have done this, just replace the cable (it comes with the proxim. sensor integrated) and reverse the process.

[​IMG]

15. boomer99 macrumors newbie

Just ordered the proximity sensor cable. One more question, when you had this problem your earpiece also wasn't working right? I tried to put my hand over the sensor part during a call and the screen stays on. This is what you had also right? Just trying to figure out if my problem is different that's all. thanks for your help!

16. eiprol thread starter macrumors regular

eiprol

Yes, that was the problem I had; not only the earpiece wasn't working, but also the sensor (I tried to put my hand over the sensor part during a call too, and the screen stayed on, like you have said).
    You're welcome!

17. dynamitego macrumors newbie

Hi,

sorry could somebody tell me what to buy I did not get it..
    is it the earpiece? or some sort of cable I have to buy?

(to fix the problem of the sensor not working while calling and not hearing anyone while calling through the earpiece)

Thanks
    Waiting for an fast reply from someone.

18. boomer99 macrumors newbie

Hey,

Its called the proximity sensor cable. I just got mine in and BOOM put it in and phone started working again. I was about to give up hope.

19. dynamitego macrumors newbie

I see could you give me a link to the product?
    Maybe from where you bought it?

I am from Germany. I saw some shops selling parts but they are not that cheap.

Thanks in advance!
    (or send me an pm...)

20. boomer99 macrumors newbie

I am not sure if I can post eb@y links on here, but if you search for iphone 3g proximity sensor on ebay you are sure to get 100s of sellers who are selling them.

21. dynamitego macrumors newbie

I have to add I bought this iphone at ebay... where it said that the phone cant get out of the headset mode...

I just opened it... which was horrible.. the Screen nearly came out without the touchscreen it was a lot of work to get the whole thing out...

Anyways after I got it out I saw that the white connector of cable #3 is broken.

The white part in the picture from above is nearly gone and the black part of it which is there to hold the cable is completly gone.

I can still put the cable in but I do not know if there is any connection between it or not.

Anyone got a idea how to fix it?
    Is it still possible that just the cable is broken? :/

22. jbv2006 macrumors newbie

no 3 connector on logic board broken

CAn somebody fix this? I have the part. Just need someone who is good in micro-soldering. PM me pls

23. hectordtruong macrumors member

check your email. i micro solder

24. fausca7 macrumors newbie

eiprol
    Podrías incluir la fotografía a la que te refieres, por favor. Tengo el mismo problema y necesito cambiar el cable 3 del Iphone.
    Gracias

25. ReneeG macrumors newbie

Where did you get your Ribbon 3 from? I am in need of one myself!