Earpiece and Speakerphone volume with 1.1.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alanisrox69, Sep 27, 2007.

1. alanisrox69 macrumors regular

The video on apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate suggests at the end that both the Earpiece and Speakerphone volumes were raised with the 1.1.1 update...

can anyone comment?

I may upgrade to 1.1.1 and lose my apps just for this if it's true....

Thanks!

-Derek-

2. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Honestly, I don't notice a change AT ALL in volume. It's the exact same for me, and the speaker phone is still impossible to use normally.

3. ncsmith4 macrumors 6502

Agreed. Unless Im in my office, alone, I dont even bother with the speakerphone.

Although when ringtones play now, it feels like its gonna blow the speaker. :-/

4. rasputinj macrumors regular

did anyone notice a difference with the volume during calls?

5. alanisrox69 thread starter macrumors regular

Bummer....

did you have your phone Jailbreaked or anything before updating? And did you just update, or did you Restore and then update?

It's odd because the guy in the video actually tells you (us) that the volume has been increased.......

disappointed!

-Derek-

6. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

So far I agree completely unfortunately. On a voice call I notice a slight bump in the earpiece and the speakerphone on a call seems no different which stinks. Ringer volume also seems maybe 10% better but I could just be dreaming. If you have to have your volume on max for ringer, earpiece and speaker just to hear normal phone things that's kinda weak. I miss my loud ringers now.

7. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

My phone is stock. Not hacked at all, and didn't need to restore, just update.

8. alanisrox69 thread starter macrumors regular

Perhaps the key is to Restore and then Update...it only takes a few extra minutes...

-Derek-

9. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

I also would be hard pressed to tell the difference in volume. Disappointing as it is my biggest and only main beef with the phone. I miss calls and most text messages when out in public simply because ambient noise is louder than the ring. No way that having volume on MAX should be anything less than ear-splitting.

10. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

The earpiece is louder on mine. The speaker is 'barely' louder. It's louder, but still unusable with any background noise at all.

11. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Agree!...how about having the max volume being too loud..as it is now it's the only way I can sometimes hear anything. Maybe it's a hardware issue and only version 2 will be decent cause this kinda sucks.

12. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

The speaker on mine is the same level, but the earpiece is substantially louder.

13. iPhoneyboy macrumors member

Not any louder here. If anything... it's softer. Damn, I wish I didn't do this. The iPod quality (via speakers) sounds different, but not louder. The stock ringtones don't sound any louder... but softer to me.

Disappointing Apple. I think success if messing up Apple. They are loosing it. This update wasn't worth it. I only did it because they said the speak volume was better... and IT'S NOT!

14. heatasmallhouse macrumors regular

total BS

I ended up staying up later than I normally would last night waiting for my stock iPhone to update, completely excited about the louder volume. I thought maybe I'd finally be able to use my iPhone in a room with air conditioning and hear it!

Well, regardless of them putting it #2 on the bug fix list, the volume is still absolute crap. I can't tell it increased at all!

I know the small speaker on the bottom can't handle any louder speakerphone features, that's fine, its pushed to its limit and they can fix that when they release the next revision, but the receiver speaker is just crying for more volume! Its nowhere close to its max handling.

I wish VLC would do what they did for watching videos on a mac and release an app that pushes the phone's volume to a usable level.

15. dadsp33k macrumors regular

dadsp33k

16. eric325 macrumors newbie

I have to agree that the speaker phone volume has not improve a single bit at all. If i knew i will not see any improvement i won't trade my custom ringtone for the damn update. BTW i am going back to apple and let them listen to it.

17. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

After updating my IPhone, I don't notice a difference in the call volume at all...

It's still very tough to hear calls via the handset..

And I can only use the speaker phone when it's completely quiet..

18. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

Louder

I installed the update and I have noticeably more volume in the ear piece and the speakers. I watched a short video and turned the volume down, a first. I agree however, that it could still be louder. I have hearing loss in one ear and I could barely hear a phone call on that side, but now I can understand better. I am glad for the improvement I received, but I would have like to have more.:)

19. Merlyn3D macrumors regular

Wow....I wonder why an update that took so long is having so many inconsistent results among the masses? What's happened here Apple?