Earpiece Buzz?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattkowalski, May 24, 2011.

1. mattkowalski macrumors member

I got a replacement iPhone 4 last weekend, due to a home button that had died. However, it seems that the replacement has an issue all of its own - the earpiece.

Whenever someone's talking, it buzzes, as if there's a piece of debris inside the earpiece. It's far more noticeable when talking to someone with a deep voice. The phone it replaced, definitely didn't do it.

Planning on taking it back to the Apple store that gave it to me. Is this a known issue? Is there some kind of secret handshake, whereby I can fix this myself easily? To be clear, I'm not talking about dismantling it!

2. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

I have the same thing that I plan bring up when I get to the apple store again.

3. mattkowalski thread starter macrumors member

More than slightly annoying, as the phone this replaced, didn't have the issue.

Have a deep-voiced voicemail ready for them to listen to in the Apple store!

4. mattkowalski thread starter macrumors member

Once again, very impressed by the after-sales care in the Apple Store I went to...

I showed that the phone rattles loudly when shook gently - I was told that was the vibration motor, but I still think it rattled far more than the first iPhone 4 I had.

Played a voicemail message to him through the earpiece and he said that it was probably an issue with the microphone on the person's phone that left me the message. He then left me a voicemail message himself. I could hear the buzz when it was played back, although he said he couldn't.

To my amazement, he then said that if I wasn't convinced by the demonstration he'd just done, he'd be willing to replace it anyway. Got it home and there's no earpiece buzz with this one.