Earpiece speaker distortion?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sneeks, Nov 15, 2007.

1. sneeks macrumors 6502a

I've noticed that if I have the handset earpiece speaker at full volume, or slightly less, the sound distorts slightly. The problem goes away if I reduce the volume two or three bars. Is this common to all iPhone's or is this a fault with my handset?

The volume does go very loud so it is not a major issue but I'd rather check now and avoid the problem getting worse if it is not a standard fault.

2. Lucas44 macrumors member

it happens on my iphone too. on my previous phone the earpiece volume was always on max but now i only need it at approx 75%. on full volume it does disstort

3. sneeks thread starter macrumors 6502a

The volume on my iPhone is louder than my N73 it replaces so it is not a major problem. I was asking for piece of mind more than anything else :)

4. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I find that both the earpiece speaker and the speakerphone speaker distort a little on full volume in many situations.

5. sneeks thread starter macrumors 6502a

The handset loudspeaker is terrible if used to preview tracks on the iTunes wifi store. Most songs distort badly when using it.

P.S. I've ordered a bestskinsever cover for the back of my iPhone after reading your recommendation in the case thread. I was surprised how cheap they are.

6. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

They're very good and a brilliant price. What's more they appear to be the same material as the Invisible Shield (which I have used in the past on an iPod) but considerably cheaper.

I hope you have a steady hand and a good eye, and that you don't mind fiddly jobs though. Other tips are:

1. Apply it in a steamy bathroom (this prevents dust getting trapped underneath the skin);

2. Use plenty of the solution on the skin and your hands to keep it easy to handle and position until it's perfectly aligned (taking care not to get moisture in the earphone plug, microphone and speaker holes);

3. Be patient and don't worry about very small bubbles under the surface (they tend to disappear after a day or two).

Back on topic: You're right about the speaker and music at the loudest setting (which isn't paricularly loud in the first place)!