Earpiece Speaker Grill Condition

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by desmortum, Oct 23, 2012.

1. desmortum macrumors newbie

Hello, everyone.

Unfortunately, ear speaker grill gets dirty quite often for me. Certainly, there are many ways to clean it. So I used a small soft brush to get the job done few times.
    But recently I discovered that grill becomes kinda deformed a bit in different places. I can see it under bright light under different angles. It looks quite imperfect comparing to out-of-the-box condition when it was white and shiny. It's strange that metal is that soft.
    So I wanted to ask iPhone 4/4S users, who use their phones for like half of year, is your grill still looks perfect and does it get messed up with time or cleaning?

2. ERIC8585 macrumors member

I just cleaned an old phone's ear speaker grill with a tooth brush and rubbing alcohol and it seems to scratch the finish or whatever off the grill - it gets shiny in some spots. Doesn't seem to deform it. Not sure why it's getting scratched by a tooth brush?

I tried folding a piece of scotch tape and then dabbing it in my iphone 5 ear speaker to get the dust out. This seems to take the grill finish off as well ? Weird

3. blaake macrumors regular

If youre a techy person, go on eBay and buy a pack of 10 of them for under $4 shipped. Take it apart and just replace it. I do so in all my screen replacement clients and it really makes the screen POP when that is in mint condition.

4. ERIC8585 macrumors member

The speaker grill makes the screen pop? It's in mint condition until it gets dusty shortly after.