Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2002
New England
anyone else wish the EarPods jack was on the bottom of the iPad mini? I use an iPod touch and I like it on the bottom. I'm hoping to upgrade to the iPad mini when its updated and i really hope the jack is on the bottom

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, I hated the earphone jack on the bottom of the iPhone. I'm glad its on the top.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I prefer the audio port right where it is. If it were on the bottom, it could interfere with some docks.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
On the iPad, it doesn't matter which side the headphone jack is on, because you can just rotate it so the jack is on whichever side you prefer. On the iPhone / iPod touch, you are stuck with the jack where it is, because they don't rotate vertically. :(

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2002
New England
On the iPad, it doesn't matter which side the headphone jack is on, because you can just rotate it so the jack is on whichever side you prefer. On the iPhone / iPod touch, you are stuck with the jack where it is, because they don't rotate vertically. :(

but then if you always hold it upside down, then the home button would always be on top and thats stupid

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
EarPod jack on bottom

I was hugely relieved when the iPhone5 relocated headphone to the bottom. Cord is in a much more natural place and less hassle when putting into pocket and retrieving while listening.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
why do you need to dock these devices? just plug them in and lay them down
Some docks have built-in speakers. Some docks provide charging. Docks also hold the device in the proper position for viewing hands-free. Plugging it in and laying it down doesn't work for all situations.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
No, I hated the earphone jack on the bottom of the iPhone. I'm glad its on the top.

I hated it on the top. When you are charging it and it is plugged there are cords coming from the top and bottom. I like it when cords are only coming from the bottom. Plus, when I'm listening to music with my headphones and have my iPhone in my pocket, I can put the phone upside down in my pocket like I normally do, so when I take it out I don't have to rotate it on my hand.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
When you are charging it and it is plugged there are cords coming from the top and bottom. I like it when cords are only coming from the bottom.

Hmmmm, that's an issue that's never occurred to me, because I almost never listen to my iDevice with headphones plugged in while it's charging.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2002
New England
i think it makes much more sense to have all cords coming out from the same side.

what do you use when you want to use it in your car and you have a usb charger outlet and an aux outlet? one wire out the top and one out the bottom? that would suck

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
i think it makes much more sense to have all cords coming out from the same side.

what do you use when you want to use it in your car and you have a usb charger outlet and an aux outlet? one wire out the top and one out the bottom? that would suck

You're not doing that with an iPad. :p

But to answer that question, we use a transmitter. You're not going to use an aux cable for something you have to pull in and out everyday. People like to keep old iPods for that use instead.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
No. I usually use my iPad in portrait orientation with the bottom resting on my stomach or lap in bed or on the couch. Makes zero sense to me for it to be on the bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.