Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
1/- Recycling - best form of recycling is maintenence+longservice from products + not overusing + controlling development marketing + making product return to manufacturer for recycling (traditional meaning) mandatory.

2/- Man (the species) is killing the planet by the weight of numbers. Reduce breeding incentives, reward family long term reliance, make society contribution mandatory (right thing to do).

3/- Corporate direction towards maintenance of life standards and away from product.

4/- Finally realise that digging a hole for drainage, cutting a hedge for its continued health, walking to school and not using machines when we can do the job ourselves are ALL GOOD THINGS!

A new Microsoft info-advert says we NEED to produce 60% more food to feed the increasing population. I argue that the increase in population is ultimately beyond anything so-called technological advance can help with and that it is the increase in population that is in need of control. The days of needing five children to keep 'your' genetic tree alive are gone. If anything is going to kill this planet off then 'ego', 'selfishness' and 'greed' will up at the top of my list.

I could go on - probably gone too far for most already.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
The world population growth is slowing, and the "experts" have been saying that the world would run out of food to support the growing population in a few decades many decades ago, but we adapted.

These things have a way of working themselves out.

I like the idea of little changes in habits and behaviors for the betterment of the world, but nothing that would be drastic or lower quality of life, or they will never work long term.

I also do not believe in changes that are financially based and ones with the means could bypass the changes while the ones without don't have a choice.

Al Gore comes to mind.

Many things proposed, while may not be intended, promotes a class society.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Individualism without responsibility and consequence is the result of the drive for power/money.

The small changes are the longest lasting BUT they have to be within the large organisations that exist now to be of real use.

My recycling wife affect on the world versus the top ten financial institutions doing the same thing.

The invisible philanthropy of a very public aware few will not do it.

The corporate mindset will, by default, drain the earth of its life unless their short sighted administrators can be enlightened or just plain removed.

I have no political or religious alignment just like to see a bit further, if I can.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Earth Day is like diets.

• Some people are hyper diet conscious carefully consuming healthy choices in proper balance. They look at others critically and judgmentally. They sometimes live longer and despite it all contract diseases, have accidents, and die earlier than expected.
  • Some people don’t give a F. They’re aware their diet affects health but don’t really care. They eat, smoke, and drink as they please. They sometimes die younger and despite it all often die later than expected.
  • Then there’s there’s the majority who are busy living life the best they can within reasonable limits and life balances. They sometimes live longer than expected and yet still contract diseases or have accidents that cause early death.
  • In the end I think they realize that nature does not exist for man, but that man is part of nature. As a specie we can naturally go extinct just as countless other species have.
And the beat goes on.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Earth Day is like diets.

• Some people are hyper diet conscious carefully consuming healthy choices in proper balance. They look at others critically and judgmentally. They sometimes live longer and despite it all contract diseases, have accidents, and die earlier than expected.
  • Some people don’t give a F. They’re aware their diet affects health but don’t really care. They eat, smoke, and drink as they please. They sometimes die younger and despite it all often die later than expected.
  • Then there’s there’s the majority who are busy living life the best they can within reasonable limits and life balances. They sometimes live longer than expected and yet still contract diseases or have accidents that cause early death.
  • In the end I think they realize that nature does not exist for man, but that man is part of nature. As a specie we can naturally go extinct just as countless other species have.
And the beat goes on.
Good post.

I would add at least one more bullet for the Hypocritical Environmentalist.

Someone that preaches to others on how to live their lives, while exempting themselves. People do it all the time with diets, like that recent news story about the popular vegan that was caught eating meat. Certain people also do it for environmental reasons, preaching for the general public to live green lives and consume less, while they consumer more in a year than some people do in a lifetime.

I mentioned Al Gore. He has 6(IIRC) mansions, all are maintained and operated as if they are occupied all year around, even if he isn't staying in it.

Here is an article about just one of them:

Washington Times said:
according to data obtained from the Nashville Electric Service (NES), a public electric company that powers Mr. Gore’s home and most of Nashville, the 20-room mansion in upscale Belle Meade used 230,889 kilowatt hours (kWh) of electricity during the past 12 months.

He has many homes, all using precious resources, but Gore tells all of us commoners to ride a bike to work.

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
Didn't I read that in 2010, AlGore the Wise bought a multi-million dollar beachfront property? Indeed he did...
http://www.worldpropertyjournal.com...-cage-peter-reckell-kelly-moneymaker-2525.php
So much for impending doom from sea level rise then. Do as I say, not as I do.
Meanwhile, since the first Earth Day in 1970, not one single prediction has come true. I celebrate Earth Day every year by a) ignoring it and b) turning on every damn light and appliance to celebrate the fact that I have electricity and don't live in a cave, rubbing gravel into my hair like the Eco-Taleban would have us do.
Rant mode off.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Seems my (Thought) quite gentle musings have been more caustic than I intended.:)

In the case of Al Gore I think I covered that with the word 'ego'.

Didn't mention Veganism or liars. I don't eat meat because I don't like killing (struggle with fish though).

As for the 'what difference does it make' argument - the answer is of course none at all! All government outside the dictatorship (singular or party led) is by definition populist and as most don't 'give a fig' there soon won't be any (bit of a sad joke there).

The commercial 'Gods' will react too late because their God of Profit protects them way beyond the masses (who don't give a fig) and as long as they keep the nutters (******** Talebanders of all creeds) out of their own gardens then - that's OK!

You see; you are all 'right'. Who am I to say what should be done. It is after all only an opinion, a bunch of thoughts; much like yours.

I put my thoughts (some of them out there to see where I fit with the world) and now I know.

Exactly the same as Al Gore, The Eco Taleban, The Stuff It and move on, The ostrich, The right wing reactionary and the religious zealot. Oh, The Communist, The pacifist, The - rest of the extremities.

But mostly I'm sure of my complete membership of the powerless, voiceless, hopeless and downright sad who see what is happening and unlike the other 'creatures' who have retired from the earth , Know It Is Coming!

There I go again:oops:.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.