Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Captured during a spacewalk on Christmas eve:

pb-131227-nasa-space.photoblog900.jpg

I am almost always impressed with photos of Earth taken from space. They just look too good to be real...as if they are some sort of wonderful science fiction movie special effect.

God, we've got a beautiful planet.

No wonder the martians wanted it. ;)

copykris

Suspended
Sep 25, 2009
home
makes you realize how insignificant we and our little problems/quarrels/conflicts really are, doesn't it...

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
I love these NASA images...

I use Celestia to get some very nice Earth views...
It's fully 3D and animated so I can follow the shuttle in orbit in real time over the Earth for some relaxing viewing.

atlantis.jpg

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I love these NASA images...

I use Celestia to get some very nice Earth views...
It's fully 3D and animated so I can follow the shuttle in orbit in real time over the Earth for some relaxing viewing.

I never heard of Celestia, just downloaded it! How do you get the space shuttle like that?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A great thread and some terrific photographs. In common with SBG, I have to say that I just love this sort of stuff - in some strange way, it puts a lot of things into perspective, and, in itself it is both astonishing, (indeed, 'awesome', to use that word used by my students from the US) and quite utterly beautiful.

Thanks for posting it, and starting the thread, OP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.