Earthquake opinions/experiences please...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pb1300, Jan 18, 2010.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

So I moved from Florida to Greece in June of last year. Where I live, there is a fault line nearby, and we get the occasional shake, that scares the crap out of me. Well today was the first big one I experienced. It was 5.3 on the richter scale, and about 30 miles NW of me. The place shook for about 10 seconds, then everything was fine. Now look at this:

http://www.emsc-csem.org/index.php?page=home&sub=gmap

Since 4pm today, there have been 15 earthquakes around the area where I live, which is Aegio on the map. Earthquakes are nothing like a hurricane coming towards us in Florida, at least you know when they are coming. These F'ng things come whenever they want. I just hope that the worst is over.

Anyone have any experiences with them? Love to hear some of them.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I've lived in two places my entire life and both are on major fault lines here in the U.S. It is just kind of a fact of life if you are going to live in these places. The only thing you can do is be prepared and hope for the best.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Living on Canada's West Coast, I have experienced many (maybe up to 40+aftershocks). From small ones that can barely be felt to plate rattlers. Unless its a big one or you live a house not built for them, there really isn't anything to worry about. Have a stock of food and water and an action plan. Remember that doorways tend to be the strongest structures in a house so that's where you want to go.

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

We once had an earthquake. I didn't wake up. Lovely nights sleep.

5. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I'm living on a major fault line, we have them fairly regularly, though they are usually small. I've never actually felt one, they usually happen while I'm sleeping, or they are too small for me to notice. (magnitude 3-4)

We're constantly told that we're long overdue for a magnitude 8 or 9 here though.

SLC

6. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

I lived in San Francisco during the '89 earthquake. It didn't phase me at first, because I was used to them but after about 10 seconds it was obvious that it was a big one. It was pretty scary, we lost power and the stairwell in my building was impassable. I was finally able to leave the next day, though I had no power or gas for three days. My building was eventually condemned.

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

The big one for me was Northridge in '94. We lost all the walls surrounding the property, and one interior (but fortunately not load bearing) wall. There were lots of aftershocks, and I don't think anyone slept for a couple of days. But fortunately nobody in my area was seriously hurt, and it was interesting how it brought the neighborhood together. People were scared to go back inside for at least a day or two afterwards, so lawn parties were popular.

At least for me, you never get completely used to them. Even with a small quake, you're constantly wondering if it'll get suddenly bigger, so the adrenaline pumps and you hurry to safety regardless.

8. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I've been through three plate rattlers so far and found them to be kinda fun. But I'm odd anyway. :D