Earthquake question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pb1300, Jun 23, 2009.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

Im an American living in Greece. I was born in NY, and then moved to South Florida in 86, and lived their until 2008. I moved here because I just wanted to change my life a little bit. I have lots of friends and family here, so the transition was helped by that. Anyways...I dont know if anyone is an earthquake special. seismologist is it(?), but lately we have had these little shakes happen, for about five seconds. Some say its good to have these happen from time to time, because it relieves the pressure and what not. But, I remember people reporting that the little shakes happened often two weeks before that big earthquake in Italy last year. Im curious because these little shakes scare the shyte out of me. Ive been through hurricanes before, and you can prepare for that, but earthquakes are a whole different story. Thoughts/opinions? Thanks!

2. 103734 Guest

Truth is nobody knows, there is no proof either way, and there are tons of scientist working every day trying to find out a way to predict earthquakes.

As a Californian we get a few earthquakes a year, they are pretty exciting if you ask me, we had a 5.0 last july that I felt pretty strong, but the 4.8 (i think it was 4.8 at least) we had a few weeks ago I didn't even feel, but the thought of anything above a 6.0 scares me, the Northridge earthquake for example was some serious **** :eek:.