Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Breaking news about Mt St Helens, seems it is letting some big steam right now

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Do you have a link, or was this just on the news or something? I don't see anything on CNN.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Was on local 10 Oclock news, should be on the mass media soon.............

Looked like a large plume.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Link

Large Plume Billows From Mount St. Helens
20 minutes ago
*Science - AP

MOUNT ST. HELENS, Wash. - Mount St. Helens released a towering plume of ash Tuesday, its most significant emission in months but one that seismologists did not believe heralded any major eruption.
The volcano has vented ash and steam since last fall, when thousands of small earthquakes marked a seismic reawakening of the 8,364-foot mountain.

Late afternoon television footage showed the plume billowing thousands of feet into the air, then drifting slowly to the northeast.

The ash explosion happened around 5:25 p.m., about an hour after a 2.0 magnitude quake rumbled on the east side of the mountain, said Bill Steele, coordinator of the Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network at the University of Washington.

Steele said he did not believe the explosion had increased the risk of a significant eruption and noted that recent flights over the volcano's crater did not reveal high levels of gases.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
It is getting crazy with all these earthquakes and related problems in the past few months. Makes me think that we haven't seen the worst of it. Hope I am wrong but I can't ever remember this much activity in the past years. I am afraid I will wake up one morning and there will be another major tsunami or earthquake...Anyway, enough of my doomsday predictions...Time for some sleep...

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Yup, it got a little dark here around 5:30. King TV did have the lava shots and I guess I heard that the smoke is up to 60,000 feet. That's pretty high!

BEN

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I hope it blows! News has been pretty slow lately, so this should help with the ratings. Blow baby blow!

andrewm

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Har!

Lacero said:
I hope it blows! News has been pretty slow lately, so this should help with the ratings. Blow baby blow!

I haven't had a laugh that good in the last several minutes! Someone do one of those mock 'priceless' MasterCard(tm) adverts--please?

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Chappers said:
These volcanos should sign up to the Kyoto treaty, oops sorry this ones in the USA.

Or outscource our US volcanos to countries that never had Kyoto problems, like india or china.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
;) THE END IS NEAR ;)

So it is either a sign of the end or just some Mother Earth corrective tuning. Perhaps we have damaged the planet beyond repair and it is the beginning of cascade failure. I am sure there will be more to come.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
theres a rather interesting BBC drama coming out soon to run on Sunday and Monday nights. doubtless there will be people uploading it but it looks set to be a very good docu/movie.

its all about a what-if, talking about the consequences of St.Helens erupting. there was an article in a newspaper this morning saying that people within a 500 mile radius would choke on a cement-like power, or be buried by ash, lava or the sheer explosive force would just destroy everything. the footprint of the disaster zone is quite big convering all of the west-coast of america, all the central part and bits of the east.
you think somebody was trying to say something :p

the rest of the world would be plunged into a cold nuclear-winter style scenario. but with stock piles and all that the majority would survive. and of course avoiding acid rain.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
This all started when...

This all started with the last MS Windows upgrade..... I knew bill was drilling do the center of the earth to get a power source for longhorn!
:p

ziwi said:
;) THE END IS NEAR ;)

So it is either a sign of the end or just some Mother Earth corrective tuning. Perhaps we have damaged the planet beyond repair and it is the beginning of cascade failure. I am sure there will be more to come.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
just out of curiosity.....which valcano is the largest? i know St Helens is up there, but is that the largest we have or is there another bigger one?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
PlaceofDis said:
just out of curiosity.....which valcano is the largest? i know St Helens is up there, but is that the largest we have or is there another bigger one?
Well, Mount Rainier in Washington is much bigger. Mt. St. Helens is about 9,700 feet tall, but Rainier is 14,410.

There are much bigger volcanos in South America, though!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
wordmunger said:
Well, Mount Rainier in Washington is much bigger. Mt. St. Helens is about 9,700 feet tall, but Rainier is 14,410.

cool thanks for the link WordMunger...checking it out now....

andrewm

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
The Tallest?

wordmunger said:

I have read that Mauna Loa in Hawai'i is the tallest volcano--the tallest mountain, too--in the world--when one measures its height from the sea floor.

Can anyone fill us in on Ojos del Salado?

Cheers,
Andrew

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
PlaceofDis said:

taller or bigger. I saw a documentary on the discovery channel i think about super volcanoes. Apparently almost the entire area of yellowstone national park is one huge volcano that has erupted at least three times in history. The power from that volcano, if it ever erupted again, would dwarf anything you'd see from mount st helens, and would have global effects. it is this volcanic activity that makes yellowstone so geothermally active.

But, its not very tall though, but its far bigger than any other volcano in north america that I know of. its also very unlikely to erupt.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It just seems to be an indication that Mt. St. Helen's is in an active phase. Maybe better for the residents that it releases some stream and ash in small amounts occasionally. Than to have the large blowup that occurred about 20 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.