Eary 2009 Aluminium Macbook graphics card problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nuttydev, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Nuttydev macrumors 6502

I couldn't find anything about this problem, so I've decided to make a post:

So earlier today I was using my dads Macbook when all of a sudden the screen suddenly changed the colours (see attachment) I then closed the lid and opened it again, finding that the problem had been fixed. However - a minute or so later it happened again so I snapped a photo of it; then closed the lid and opened it again and now it hasn't reoccurred yet. Also, the cursor seemed to have changed the Safari symbol for some reason.

We're now wondering what the problem is, and if the Macbook needs to be sent to apple? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Can a mod please change eary to early please?

Attached Files:

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Looks like a bad graphics card. Have you tried rebooting?

3. Nuttydev thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah it hasn't done it again, but I will report back when/if it does. We're going on holiday for two weeks on Saturday and we are taking our Macs so that we can save pictures; shall have to see if it happens during that time. It's just an odd problem as I haven't found anyone else having it from searching google.

4. runandsurf09 macrumors newbie

I have been struggling with the same problem with my Macbook for a while. I brought it in today and they are replacing the logic board. I wasn't able to bring the computer in for a while since I needed it for school. The problem is more annoying than anything. Just make sure your are constantly saving your work when you use the computer since it will have it's problem at anytime. When you get back from your trip take it to the genius bar with the pictures they will help you out.

5. Cyclo0n macrumors newbie

Cyclo0n

Got same prob.

HTML:
    Hi, I got somsortof the same problem as you. Only I have it in smaller proportions.

6. Nuttydev thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for you help, we'll take it in with pictures. It hasn't happened again but we'll probably take it in after our holiday.

7. Cyclo0n macrumors newbie

Cyclo0n

I went to the Applestore one week ago and told me it was a common problem with the Graphicscard. So it was free of charge and replaced in almost a week :D

8. obriendean macrumors newbie

Hey NuttyDev i cant figure out how to send private messages on here so i thought i would post and hope for a reply, i noticed you have the same philips 42 inch tv as me. And i noticed that you also have a home cinema system hooked up, i was wondering how is it connected? Due to the lack of optical output, do you not have it linked up for normal t.v? Do you just use it for sky/bluray etc.?

Thanks

9. cryingrobot macrumors regular

Had the same problem. It was the logic board and it is very common for this macbook. No problems after taking it in for replacement.

10. Mlandzaat macrumors newbie

I have a late 2008 Unibody Macbook that has similar issues...

Since august my Macbook crashes at least once a day.

Even when I'm not stressing the system it just crashes, looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Tested the machine using the hardware test on the Application install DVD that came with my Macbook.
    All is OK according to the test, even when I run the extended test it doesn't find anything wrong.
    Also used Micromat techtool to test the system and all OK according to the program...

At first I thought it was the new Seagate 500GB 7200.4 HD I installed two weeks ago or the Snow Leopard installation on it but even now I'm back on Leopard the thing keeps crashing.
    It sometimes seems temperature related.
    The CPU warms up the heatsink that warms up the GPU and causes a crash.
    Just a theory:)

Martijn

11. Nuttydev thread starter macrumors 6502

Hello,

in answer to your question; my Home Cinema system is connected to the Sky HD box via digital optical, and I swap the cable to the Blu Ray player if needed. I don't have it connected directly to the TV - simply because I don't use the channels that the TV provides since Sky has all of them anyway.

Hope this answers your question, if there's anything else you'd like to know feel free ask :)

mlandzaat:

That looks similar to what the Macbook did, except it hasn't happened again since the first two times that it occurred on that one day. Have no idea what happened but it's now working months later - quite odd. I doubt it's the hard drive since that should have no impact on what happens to the graphics :/ Have you taken it into apple? It's probably the logic board as suggested by other people, just don't know why it was a one-off with my dad's macbook.

12. Mlandzaat macrumors newbie

No, haven't visited Apple yet but I will soon because it's driving me crazy:eek:
    I first wanted to make sure that it wasn't de HD or the RAM which I upgraded myself. (allthough I did that when I just got the Macbook)
    But all test come out clean, even Apple's own hardware test.
    I nevet tried closing the lid though, will do this the next time the thing crashes:)
    Doubt it will work because it completely freezes and doesn't respond to anything, I just turn it off pressing the power button and keeping it presed till it turns of.
    Then I just restart and go on but I've lost various postings/emails/documents not saving before it crashed...:(

Martijn

13. obriendean macrumors newbie

Thanks, i've got just one more question, have you ever linked your mac or a pc up to the tv using the HDMI? Its just i cannot get any sound out of it. Just thought i might as well ask because there isnt many of us with this t.v lol

Thanks

14. chill. macrumors 6502

do you have anything coming out of your audio port or are you just using the mini-displayport?

15. Mlandzaat macrumors newbie

I'm a bit puzzled!
    I downgraded my OS to Leopard and got rid of a cleanapp daemon filling my Console list.
    I also contacted the store I bought the Macbook to have Apple take a look at it why it's crashing.
    So last night I put my original HD that came in my Macbook in an external case to format it and install Leopard on it.
    I even ended up installing Snow Leopard.
    Only added Fan Control and iStat menu to the installation.
    So for testing I put some AIFF music files in my iTunes to let it stream to my Airport Express just like I did most of the time it crashed.

That didn't make it crash so I put in a DVD to watch as this might trigger a crash like it normally did.
    Also didn't crash, temp stayed on 122F for the CPU and hovering around 104F for the heatsink B with the HD on 95F.

The feeling came that the crashing might be caused by the 7200rpm HD's I put in, Hitachi Travelmaster 320GB somewhere around beginning of this year and the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500GB I put in recently.
    Testing further I booted from the still inserted Seagate 7200rpm disc (on Leopard) in my Macbook to test if it still would crash under use.
    Streamed some music like on the original HD I tested, no crash.
    Watched some half an hour DVD and still nothing.
    Temperatures where even a bit lower then with the original 5400rpm HD.

Seems like the Cleanapp daemon might have something to do with the crashing although I feel his is highly unlikely...

I am afraid that I'm out of ideas and have the feeling that when I would send the Macbook in Apple would just give it back saying all is OK, no defects found, please pay us $$ for inspection as this wasn't warranty:(

Martijn