Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
On the Apple's page for EA's games it says:
"For best game performance, Apple recommends Intel-based Macs."

Okay.. so that (to me) suggest that using a PowerPC is still an option, but with less performance. Then click on one of the games and what does it say!?

System Requirements:

Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
1.83GHz or faster Intel Core Duo processor
1GB RAM
6GB free hard-disk space
Video card: ATI X1600 series or later; NVIDIA GeForce 7300 or later
DVD-ROM drive

Uh.. I have a 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5. So I'm screwed?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
They will not work on PPC macs, the Bianarys are onlt for intel and there is no reverse version of Rosseta unfortunatly.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
The EA games aren't even Mac games; they're just the Windows versions wrapped in a compatibility layer, so it's not possible for them to run on PPC machines. Epic's games are actual ports, and there's a possibility of a G5 version but it's not a priority.

--Eric

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Hoping Epic will make Unreal Tournament 3 in UB, so I could play it on my iMac until I get an intel Mac with REAL graphics card, not this intel GMA crap I have in my MacBook.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Hoping Epic will make Unreal Tournament 3 in UB, so I could play it on my iMac until I get an intel Mac with REAL graphics card, not this intel GMA crap I have in my MacBook.

Unreal Tournament 3 is never going to play on a G5 iMac, the best of the G5's was the Radion X600 witch in games like that would be about use to you as a GMA 950 anyway. Your iMac's graphics arent even worth a label but if pushed i would say budget low end to abandon ware.
Unreal Tournament 3 is going to need a X800 for its entry level and a Geforce 8800 for mid-high/mid level settings your X600 isn't worth developing for especially with a very slow G5 its like asking them to develop for a Pentium 4 2.66 and Radion 9800 because 0.00002 of users have them.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Unreal Tournament 3 is never going to play on a G5 iMac, the best of the G5's was the Radion X600 witch in games like that would be about use to you as a GMA 950 anyway. Your iMac's graphics arent even worth a label but if pushed i would say budget low end to abandon ware.
Unreal Tournament 3 is going to need a X800 for its entry level and a Geforce 8800 for mid-high/mid level settings your X600 isn't worth developing for especially with a very slow G5 its like asking them to develop for a Pentium 4 2.66 and Radion 9800 because 0.00002 of users have them.

Oh please. I played UT2003/4 on a 700 MHz eMac with GeForce 2 fine :) I even played KOTOR on it for good 20+ times and it was ok. Of course it was slow, but at least it was fun.

My iMac has Radeon 9600, its slightly slower than X600, but still many times better than GMA. Games like UT2004, Call of Duty 2, etc run MUCH better on my iMac, than they do on my MacBook, so saying that my radeon is like gma is wrong. Sure, some games are faster on MacBook, like KOTOR, because they are VERY CPU-bound, but more "balanced" games, or games that use GPU more, than CPU like Doom 3, run much better on iMac.

And I'm aware that my iMac wont be able to run UT3 even at medium settings, but I'm expecting it would be fine in small 1v1 maps at lowest possible graphics. I'm not asking for playing conquest (or whatever this game mode is called) on max graphics on this iMac :rolleyes:

BTW, not all PPC Macs have the same configuration as mine. There are MUCH faster PowerMacs out there and its definitely not 0.00002 % of Mac users that have PPC Macs.

dark5

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Honestly, eXan, don't try your luck. I have the newest MBP and won't even think of buying UT3 for OS X. I'm even second guessing buying it for Windows after the terrible performance Bioshock got I know there's little hope of UT3 online multiplayer gaming for me on this notebook at least.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.

I'd hate to break your parade, but a Radeon 9800 still stomps even the X1600/2600 into the ground.

And a X600 is based off of a 9600, and a 9600 is a pretty fast card for lower settings.

The only game thats come out that wont run on a 9800 so far is BioShock, as far as I know.

I bet they'll support the G5, since thats what they started to program Gears of War with originally. (The Xbox 360 original dev kits were off the shelf PowerMac G5s)

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Honestly, eXan, don't try your luck. I have the newest MBP and won't even think of buying UT3 for OS X. I'm even second guessing buying it for Windows after the terrible performance Bioshock got I know there's little hope of UT3 online multiplayer gaming for me on this notebook at least.

How much ram do you have? You're not expecting to play the latest games well with the stock 1 gig, right? What video card?

And I'm assuming you're running it in bootcamp, not under emulation. I know the newer versions of parallels support directx but I don't know how well.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia

You are insane then. UT3 is coming out this november and you think it wont run on GeForce 8600 and 2.2+ GHz Core 2 Duo? LoL

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020

Well, Bioshock runs flawlessly on my 2,8 ghz iMac, all settings max (except dx10) and 1920x1200... I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have any problems with your mbp...

dark5

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
You are insane then. UT3 is coming out this november and you think it wont run on GeForce 8600 and 2.2+ GHz Core 2 Duo? LoL

I didn't say that. I said that it won't run WELL, especially under OS X

Well, Bioshock runs flawlessly on my 2,8 ghz iMac, all settings max (except dx10) and 1920x1200... I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have any problems with your mbp...

Well you do have 600 more Mhz and a desktop CPU and GPU ...but I question your "max settings at 1920x1200" since you only have a 128-bit GPU and we all know that's just not possible at 1920x1200 without some serious lag spikes.

Anyway, my point was not to bother trying to run UT3 on a G5 even if for some reason it happens to be compatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.