Ease of replacing LCD/Digitizer?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AsianChexMix, Apr 25, 2009.

1. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

I have a cracked LCD screen and know that the only way to fully repair would be to replace the whole unit. I looked on craigslist but realized that it's cheaper doing it myself. I was wondering if the YouTube video gives you a false sense of security or the ease of opening up the phone and replacing this. Should I just pay $160 and do it by a person who knows what they are doing to be safe?

2. core2duo macrumors member

It's not all that bad. There are a couple of things to watch out for.

1. Your first challenge is lifting up the screen. A small suction cup helps a lot. Hold the phone steady in one hand while you pull up slowly with the cup on the other. Don't lift the screen beyond 45 degrees, and as you open it up, check to see if a cable on the bottom left is attached to the display. If so, gently pry it off.

2. The connectors inside should be numbered, disconnect them in order (1,2,3), then reconnect in the opposite order. Number 3 is a small cable, so be careful with that one.

3. Be gentle snapping the screen back into place.

That' s about it. Not too difficult, just requires some patience and finesse.