Easier PC Network Access Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by drgrafix, Jan 22, 2009.

1. drgrafix macrumors regular

First, I'm not a network guy, so pardon me if this is a dumb question, but here it goes. I'd like to know if there's a way to set up finder so that when I open it I can see other computers on my network and... shared folder/directories. For instance, when I open my windows explorer, I can see all my internal and external drives instantly, and with one or two clicks... I can drag a file from Drive E: to Drive C: and even park it in a specific directory.

I'm working on a project where I am using a separate PC and my mac. I need to bring graphic files from the PC over to the mac and into Photoshop. The files were created in Corel and exported to a shared folder as PSD files. Ideally, I'd like to simply "browse" in PS and see that PC/Shared Directory but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I think its tedious to mail myself the image, then import the image into iPhoto and then bring it into photoshop.

I should note that when I click on "FINDER" and a window opens, there is NO Network Icon, nor is there any indication that this Mac is connected to a router and there's a PC in the same room connected to the same router.

Perhaps I'm tainted by years of conditioning in the windows world where its relatively easy to access files and folders on other networked computers. Hopefully, someone will turn on the light bulb for me and show me how this can be done easily.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can access the network "folder" from the Go menu. If your PC is properly configured for file sharing, it should appear there.

How are you connected to the router? Wired or wireless?

3. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Check to see if your Mac is even connected using System Preferences>Network, because a Network icon should be showing up in the upper left of the Finder window.

A single click of my Finder's Network icon (looks like a little globe) brings up a Servers icon, and Local, Workgroup, and *other username* folders that contain links to other networked computers including Windows, Linux, and Mac machines. I need the logins, of course.

As Blue says, using Go from the file menu should work too if everything is set up correctly. File sharing for windows needs to be on in System Preferences also.

4. drgrafix thread starter macrumors regular

I must have something screwed up because when I click on the Finder icon, the window pops up and there's no network icon. If I go into System Preferences and click on the Network Icon, the window opens and it shows that the mac's status as: Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address of XXX.XXX.X.X. In the window on the left, it shows a green dot next to the Ethernet Connected and Firewire and AirPort both as Off or Not Connected.

This mac is hard-wired to my wireless router with a 3' cable, and the PC is connected to the router as well. I don't know if it's important, but Bonjour is installed on the PC.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

So what's screwed up? You can get to the network from the Go menu in finder.

6. drgrafix thread starter macrumors regular

I wish it was that simple. I click on Finder, go over to GO and do a dropdown and no matter what I select (and I do see the network ball icon), when I click Network... nothing appears.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What about pressing command+shift+K (in Finder)?

8. drgrafix thread starter macrumors regular

Doesn't seem to do anything... on the screen that is. When the Finder window opens, shouldn't there be a Network Icon in the grey column on the left? And IIRC, shouldn't you be able to click/open the network to show other computers and devices that are connected to the network?

BTW, my wireless router/switch/modem is a LinkSys Wireless G Cable Gateway Model WCG200. My mac and pc have internet access as does my IBM ThinkPad and my iPhone... so the network is operational. Maybe I have to go to LinkSys' website to see if there are any FAQs on setting up a Mac.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

There is no network icon in Leopard, and it can be removed in Tiger. In Leopard, available computers appear directly in the Finder sidebar.

10. drgrafix thread starter macrumors regular

Well... unfortunately, in my sidebar they don't. Puzzling. I can use GO, and Connect To Server, but I have to type in the IP address of the PC which then brings up the "Shared" section in the sidebar with the IP address listed, not something like "Shuttle61" which is the name of the PC.

There should be some way to force "Shared" to remain there in finder and list my PC, my wife's PC, and my ThinkPad when they are on the network. Right?