Easier to update to Parallels 8 or transfer to VMware Fusion 5?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cdubb80, Aug 21, 2013.

1. cdubb80, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

cdubb80 macrumors member

I need to use a virtualization software to access hospital VPN on windows XP or vista.

I previously used an old edition of parallels in the past, but looking at VMware fusion for the ability to install on multiple machines with one license.

I see an offer on VMware's website to get the Pro version for half off from switching from Parallels. But would the standard version be sufficient for my personal needs?

UPDATE: now wondering how easy it is to transfer existing VMs on Parallels 6 to VMware fusion 5?

2. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Did you actually really look into this?

http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop_virtualization/fusion/professional.html#compare

Pretty much gives you the answer to your question??

3. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

It's more advanced networking and optional VM restrictions for corporate users. I use it daily and it is a great product. The version installed is based on the license key used.

4. cdubb80, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

cdubb80 thread starter macrumors member

I only need it on a couple personal machines, but was wondering if the pro version got more support or used more resources. Thanks for the info.

5. cdubb80 thread starter macrumors member

Update - So right now I have a dual boot of SL and ML on my MBP.

The SL has a working copy of parallels desktop 6 with XP and Windows 7 both installed as virtual machines.

Is it easier/better to keep those upgrade VMs by upgrading to Parallels 8, or if I switch to Vmware fusion 5, can it import those existing VMs without needing to reinstall?

I remember it being a hassle to activate the licenses.

The reason why I don't just update straight to Parallels 8 is because I also plan to get another laptop and install the virtual machines on, which means 2 license fees for Parallels. But if its a lot easier the other way around I can cough up the cash.

Everything I find online talks about converting from Fusion to Parallels, except for articles from 2007.

6. Bear macrumors G3

From a quick search on the vmware web site:
    Import a Parallels or Virtual PC Virtual Machine among other search results.