Easier way? (don't want wireless on my MB when I'm plugged into Ethernet)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macshui, Sep 18, 2007.

1. macshui macrumors newbie

When I use my MacBook upstairs, I plug into an ethernet cable which is connected to my AirPort Extreme-n (to take advantage of faster file transfer speeds between machines). When I take it downstairs, I use the wireless.

Is there a way to set it so that MacOS knows when I plug in the Ethernet cable and intelligently switches over to that, instead of using the wireless? Right now, I'm having to turn AirPort off on my MacBook whenever I'm plugged in, and this wreaks havoc on my AirDisk and is also a nuisance.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. osprey76 macrumors 6502

You just need to change the order that the OS uses networks.

Go to System Preferences:Network.
    Choose Network Port Configurations in the Show menu, just below the Location menu.
    You should see a few options, at least Built-in Ethernet and Airport. The list order of these network methods is what the OS uses to decide which connection to try first for Internet. So, just drag the Ethernet option above the Airport. Now, the OS will use any available Ethernet option for Internet first. If no Ethernet network is plugged in, it will look on down the list and end up using your Airport connection.

Good luck!

3. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

This worked for me and I hadn't even thought to ask the question yet!

Thank you!

4. macshui thread starter macrumors newbie