Easier way to import photo's to Aperture Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SLR2009, May 26, 2009.

1. SLR2009 macrumors regular

Hi, I'm new to Aperture, I've always used Iphoto. I've recently imported a large library of photo's from Iphoto into Aperture. I selected to store the photo's in their current location. Is there any way that Aperture can automatically update the library once I add it to Iphoto or my computer? I'm always adding photo's to my computer. As it is now I have to manually import the selected photo's into an event and then drag it from the event to my library. Is there an easier way then this? is there some option that I'm missing? Any help is greatly appreciated

2. pprior macrumors 65816

Just set aperture as the program to use when you import photos. then whenever you stick a CF card or whatever you have with photos aperture will automatically open and you can import from there.

It's in preferences.

BTW personally I recommend storing photos in aperture's library rather than referenced, but that's my take on it.

3. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick response. May I ask why you prefer to store your photo's in the aperture library? is there any advantage?

4. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

Here's my two reasons:

1. I love the 'vault' feature that makes backing up the entire library very easy. You don't have to guess / remember what you've already backed up and what isn't. It simply updates the vault with any changes since your last backup.

2. It's easier to accidentally delete images when they are in numerous folders or sub-folders vs. within the Aperture library. You'd have to either delete the entire library or intentionally open the 'package' to get at the contents.

I understand everyone is different and there's tons of arguments either way, but I've found using the library to be the best for me.

Good luck -

5. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

In my case... it just allows you more flexibility... I store all of my Professional photos in Aperture and all of my Personal photos in iPhoto... I also have 3 iPhoto library's as that adds to the flexibility!!!